Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mac operation

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Any problems running ssdr and smart at on an iMac using boot camp? Not interested in trying parallels or other VMware. This would only be for wireless operation from inside the house. Thanks Greg

Answers

• W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited March 2014
    Greg, K9XE and I worked the Illinois QSO Party in Oct from a portable park location, using my 6500 and Windows7 Professional under Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro, 15" 2.2GHz i5 processor. (So obviously the earlier version of SSDR). It was a complete success, worked flawlessly. We operated both SSB and CW. Just set it up as you would expect with a normal Windows machine. - Les, W9XC
  • W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited March 2014
    BTW as you would expect the 6500 was connected to the Mac via a direct ethernet cable, no wireless involved in this case, so can't speak to wireless effects/issues. - Les, W9XC
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Greg, I am going to guess it should be ok since it will be a win 7/8 install and it will be the primary OS no different than running a pc unlike running a vm in Parallels or VMWare. I should add I have not had real good luck running a vm on my iMAC. I was getting signal distortion on transmit in the digi modes. That is why I started using my PC for running the flex. Maybe later I might use boot camp but I hate to give up the capability to use both OS's since I some apps that will only run under windows.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I should add you can try Parallels or VMWare for 30 days at no cost and it is a full blown version.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Don. I have an opportunity to pick up a relatively inexpensive 21 inch iMac that I can keep in my living room for use just for the SDR and other Windows apps if necessary no really need to run the Mac operating system along with the other programs at the same time. 73 Greg
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Thanks the wireless laptops that I've been using it from the house seem to work rather well wirelessly for one or two pan adapters without any issues at all so I'm hoping that the iMac would perform the same way.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Thank you. Where there any issues with plugged in accessories such as the flex control knob?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    If you were working CWI gather that the radio was there with you and that it a remote location correct?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Do you think this will do a good job for wireless connection in the house? In boot amp mode I would want to run maybe 2 pan adapters and dxlabs. Tnx Greg
  • W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited March 2014
    Greg, > The wireless laptops that I've been using it from the house seem to > work rather well wirelessly for one or two pan adapters without any > issues at all so I'm hoping that the iMac would perform the same way. I don't see why it shouldn't. > Where there any issues with plugged in accessories such as the flex control knob? None. We did use FlexControl, just plugged into the Mac's USB port if I recall, and it worked fine. > If you were working CWI gather that the radio was there with you and > that it a remote location correct? Yes the radio was on the table. We are dedicated CW ops so used paddles no external keyboard utility. Contesting, we needed CW memories so we used an external keyer (AA-MM3) and had no problems. > Do you think this will do a good job for wireless connection in the > house? In boot amp mode I would want to run maybe 2 pan adapters and > dxlabs. I don't know the actual SSDR ethernet demand, but given the design is explicitly for a lightweight rig-to-display channel (unlike the heavy PSDR approach of sending masses of data to the PC for processing). I would think what you want is no problem, and wifi speed won't be the bottleneck - esp if you have good WIFI experience now. I don't know the power of your new/used iMac, and that would be the only issue if it's got a slower CPU, not much memory, etc. See if the Mac specs fit the Windows 7/8 hardware requirements leaving significant overhead. - Les, W9XC
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Greg, I use my Mac MINI with an i5 dual core under Bootcamp without a single issue. Also, the four panadapter, four slice operation used "whopping" 3 (Three) mb/s, according to the Task Manager. As you can see, minimal impact on the network. Btw, I've been playing with the DAX, using my MacBook Pro and VMWare Fusion, host Win7 Ultimate over my AirPort Extreme wireless network with no issues. Limited Tx testing, though. More fun, to come. Mike
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Thats great Mike. Thanks. I think the 2009 version I am considering is still a core 2 duo....not sure. Also tossing around between that and a 15in i5 laptop for more portability. Tnx Greg
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have only used my 6500 with a MacBook Pro in boot camp. Running 8.1 Pro. Works great. The rig is plugged into my router. I am not using wifi. Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 3 MB Memory: 16 GB 73, Dan KM6CQ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.