Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pan display frozen on new laptop.

Nick
Nick Member ✭✭
edited August 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just got a new HP Envy laptop and loaded the new beta version. Everything works, all controls, frequency display is giving correct information. Only problem is panadapter is frozen. Looks like it is indicating what the band looked like when I first brought up the program. Same graphic shows when I switch bands, and I can use the frequency display to see where I'm tuning, Using same wireless connection I was using with old l/t. When I go back to the PC any changes I made on the L/T are present. The persistence is working perfectly! Just think the new L/T may have an unsupported graphics adapter.

Comments

• Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Nick: I see that nobody has responded to your post so let's see if I can help you. Flex Radio representatives have previously posted on this Community that there is a known defect associated with operating SmartSDR with Intel 4600 embedded graphics adapters. The Intel embedded graphics adapters are part of some desktop CPU's and some laptop CPU's. To determine if an Intel video graphics adapter is embedded in your CPU do the following: 1. Go to your laptop's desktop and right-click on an unused area. 2. Click on Screen Resolution 3. Click on Advanced Settings At the top of the Adapter tab you will see your embedded adapters name. On the laptop I am using to type this Reply the Adapter Type is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. My embedded graphics adapter is not a 4600 so it is compatible with SmartSDR. Next let's see what video graphics adapter your laptop is really using. 4. Go to Control Panel 5. Click in System and Security 6. Click on Device Manager 7. Click on Display Adapters You will see listed below Display Adapters the name of the Display Adapter that is actually installed. In the case of the notebook I am typing on at this moment the displayed name is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Therefore, we know that the embedded 4000 graphics adapter is being used. However, my desktop machines that I use with all of my amateur radio gear, including SmartSDR, have a Core i7-4770K CPU which have an Intel HD Graphics 4600 graphics engine embedded video adapter on the CPU. However, I am not using those Intel 4600 adapters. Instead I am using EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SuperClocked 2 GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 video adapters. They are plugged into a PCI Express 3.0 slot on ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboards. The GTX 760 video adapters easily handle their current workloads at the highest frame-rate. Hopefully, this will be true in the future as SmartSDR adds more data streams and I run more applications to process them. (Wideband CW Skimmers, wideband digital mode skimmers, etc.) So where did we end up with your problem? If you have a 4600 embedded graphics adapter and that is what is in use in your laptop then there will not be a solution unless Flex Radio announces that they have found a work-around. In desktop and tower computers we can easily plug in a high performance PCIe video adapter. For virtually all laptops there is not an easy option for plugging in a different high performance video adapter. If you have a 4600 video adapter you probably have to wait and see if a workaround is found for the 4600 defect. In the meantime, use your other computers and enjoy all of the fun features that Flex Radio is releasing to us. Good luck and enjoy your FLEX-6000. Reg
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The solution to the problem is to Download and install Windows 8.1. This will load a new video driver (version # 10.18.10.3316) which the 6700 likes much better and WIN 8.1 seems to be much better also. WIN 8 will not allow this driver to be loaded. I went thru about a week of trying to fix this problem (2 new HP laptops also) with a lot of hours on the Costco, HP and Intel help sites, before I decided to try WIN 8 just for the heck of it. It really felt good when that trace poped up on the screen. Good Luck. Al N4AB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.