Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Trace Averaging in V1.0.24 -- very nice for CW

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Trace Averaging in V1.0.24 -- very nice for CW I don't have any experience with PowerSDR but can say the averaging and adjustments in SmartSDR are much better than my other knob radios. Thanks and great job. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Comments

• Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Al: Once you get some time on it, let us know where you end up leaving the Average setting.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Greg, I've been playing with the averaging settings all morning -- listening to weak and strong CW as well as some fast and slow CW. Mostly on 20M but other bands as well to see how the various noise levels affect the settings. As a point of reference, I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 660 video card. Here are the setting I'm using for now. - FPS to 30, the maximum. - AVG set to 25 for moderate level signals and noise. This seem like a good starting point, a good display rate, and works well for most conditions. - Bumping the AVG setting up to about 50 seems better for weak signals in some cases. I'll keep playing with this setting over time. It's nice having the adjustment, I'm sure others will have their own favorite settings based on mode, conditions, video display preference. Again, very nice, Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I played around until about 3:00 am. last night on the RTTY contest, only working about 10 stations, but all DX on 40 Meters with an elevated Vertical at 8 ft. with 4 radials. Running 50 watts. I have settled upon a FPS of 25 and Averaging at 25 also. It just seems to look right that way. More experience will probably change things a bit. Congrats on the averaging. It is nicely done and I like the simple control adjustments! Thanks.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is a great feature. It's much like the trace averaging in PowerSDR. The effect changes with the panadapter display bandwidth. Not a problem. You will probably set it in the panadapter bandwidth you use to work with the most and tend to leave it there. I have it set 20-30 at maximum "zoom", but I may default to using the next zoom level up as I use it more. A little experimenting over the next few days will help refine the settings. The PowerSDR settings were made in a display setting menu, and I changed them only when I changed the program sample rate. The effect of averaging would change somewhat with the displayed panadapter bandwidth as it seems to be doing in SmartSDR as well. It's just easier to observe this in SmartSDR. I like it, I like it a lot. Ned, K1NJ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Ned - to do averaging, you average the signal strength over time in an FFT bin. If you change the zoom factor, you are making the FFT bins either larger or smaller (in Hz). This will change the appearance of the averaging effect.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.