Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Power On/Off

L.Kubis
L.Kubis Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Anyone know if the Remote Power On/Off port has been activated in this Beta version? If it is, how is it to be used? Momentary contact closure or continuous? Thanks for your help. Lloyd VE3ERQ

Answers

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I haven't seen any instructions on how it is supposed to work, but it does exist in the settings. 1. I enabled it, and it closed SmartSDR expecting the radio to turn off with no connected clients. 2. It did not. 3. I manually turned off the radio, it took longer than normal, the power light remained yellow instead of turning off completely as it has been doing with the software version. 4. I started SmartSDR expecting to see the radio in the list. The radio was not in the list and the remote on was not enabled. (hopefully this setting will be included in the persistence.)
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, it is enabled. With the radio off, if you close the rear RCA connector continuously, it will power on the radio. Open the RCA contact and the radio will power off. Enable the power on/off connector in the Radio Setup tab of SmartSDR. SmartSDR must be connected manually. Works great! Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I was hoping it could be done in software. I guess I can still do it using a micro controller or an Arduino.
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Could one short the Remote Power port continuously and use the ""Enable/Disable" Remote option on the Radio Setup page to turn the radio ON/Off Remotely in this manner perhaps?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If the radio is off, it will not connect to SmartSDR to allow it to be turned on. This is a hardware remote on/off feature.
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    OK, a follow on question Tim. Can the radio be powered up (applying DC supply to radio) with the Remote port shorted and thus enabling the radio that way? Conversely can the radio be turned Off or rebooted by just removing the DC supply to it with the Remote ON/OFF port shorted? I apologize for the rather basic questions but I'm trying to understand the power up operation of my 6500. Thanks. Lloyd VE3ERQ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sounds like a good use for one of those USB Relay boards that work with DDUtil. 73 Greg
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Won't work for a REMOTE setup (IE: No local PC running DDUTIL). I was hoping for a 'Wake on Network' mode. :^(
  • Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It would be great if I could power on/off via the software like I can with my other non-Flex radios. Dave - W5DJB
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Seems strange not implented as it is a softswitch, a WEMO internet switch could **** it by the power supply but how to turn it on. Besides I still use the 10 meg out to my 1500 as a reference so I still want standby. Lets hope this is on the roadmap real soon...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.