Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will SmartSDR running DAX automatically adjust frequency for digital mode offset?

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited March 2017 in DAX
When DAX is enabled, and we can operate PSK and RTTY, will SmartSDR automatically compensate the frequency offset so that software utilizing cluster spots will automagically place our signals with the correct offset. Or in other words, until FSK comes out will we still have to employ an offset like we do with PSDR so that when WE transmit a cluster message, it will be correct for others receiving our cluster DX Spot?. AND When we use our contest or logging software to jump on a cluster spot, we will be on the correct frequency? If I understand DAX correctly, we will still be operating afsk when running rtty????

Answers

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree that a click-tune offset & a CAT command VFO offset like we have in PowerSDR are essential. -- 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Bill - just to be clear, DAX is not digital mode operation, although it most likely will be used in conjunction with DIGU and DIGL. DAX is Digital Audio eXchange which is a method of receiving and sending slice audio and IQ data in a binary format between your 6000 and a Windows sound card device. This is to facilitate operating ASFK modes without using the ACC connector or other analog audio interface. What you are describing is the behavior of DIGU and DIGL interfacing with CAT. That is a completely different feature and is not associated with the current DAX development effort. It will most probably be addressed before the 1.4 release.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I missphrased that Tim, I'm aware that DAX is like a digital soundcard But my question still holds, as I 'THINK' it will still be afsk rtty and of course PSK, JT etc. are all soundcard based. Consequently, I think (which is where I get into trouble) that for RTTY, a automagic offset will be needed?
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Oh and one more issue, the offset is mostly for RTTY. I am thinking that psk, jt AND all the other alphabet audio modes don't need the offset?????
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    All ASFK digital mode will need an offset because they do not operate at 0 Hz (the slice carrier line frequency).
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Pse do the math for me. But I think the offset is the same for all the non FSK digital modes??
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    The offset is where you like to operate. Example, in Fldigi it is set at 1000 Hz. I like 1500 Hz so I change the "sweet spot" so that my offset is 1500 Hz when I use the QSY function wich takes any signal on the waterfall where I have a decoder and changes the slice frequency so that the decoder is at a 1500 Hz offset. ASFK RTTY has a standardized convention for the LSB offset.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks, yes I use 2125 for rtty, and lately I'm playing with JT which is really sweet system with Flex. Still a bit shy of DXCC using JT. Thanks for the education. But stay close, you may have to re-educate me when SmartSDR is able to do digital. :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.