Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Knobs vs. Mice

Charles - K5UA
Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I agree with Dale, I was that 6500 owner he spoke about. I've been an active DXer/contester since 1959, have owned an SDR-1000 and SDR-5000, have a closet full of pro-audio gear, survived the 14.178 ESSB group, and still benefited from an on-air interaction with a 6500 owner who knew how to get things going quickly. As Dale said, there are a few anti-SDR guys out there that seem to enjoy discouraging new SDR owners. So an on-air, peer-to-peer QSO is a good way to get new owners started out and sounding good. Speaking of "knobs"......I love knobs too, for certain contesting functions, but even that will be feasible given the "Flex" ability of this radio. I predict there will be a eventual convergence of the "knob" guys with the "mouse" guys as this radio matures. Why make one group happy when you can make both groups happy. $(knob guys) + $(mouse guys) = 2$ ...for the bean counters. I expect that the day is coming when the after-market guys will be happy to sell you a user-defined encoder/knob interface panel that will satisfy even the most battle-hardened touchy-feely guys like me. In the meantime, the technology underneath the hood of these 6500/6700 radios will continue to advance the high end of amateur radio performance. The existing limitations that keep the 6500/6700 from being used in a serious contest environment are on the Flex roadmap for resolution. The calvary is on the way. Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Sharing knowledge with new owners. topic.

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Anyone know if there are plans to integrate the Tmate2 with SSDR? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ http://www.woodboxradio.com/tmate2.html
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would love this if it connected via ethernet vice USB. I think (not sure) when you install this it creates its USB COM port. Would be nice if you could just select a dedicated COM port created by SCat. 73 Greg
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ok, then we might as well ask for wifi. That would be the best!
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Yes for those who have wifi in the shack. Wired ethernet standard with an internal Wifi option. :)
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I just received an e-mail from Beppe and he plans to support the Flex 6000 series as soon as they release the API Library. I plan to get one. I have trouble sending cw with right hand and trying to work the mouse left handed while sending. Tom.........
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would love it if someone could port the Hercules DJ Controllers or similar DJ controllers over to CAT or Direct through the API. These things are very inexpensive, have lots of knobs, buttons and switches, and could be easily customized to whatever function a person needs. I have been using one on my Flex-1500 and love it, but it is a little limited because at present it requires a custom modified version of PowerSDR. It could be a great asset for the Flex-6500 if someone capable with interfacing with this device could write a look-up table driver to access the CAT or other interface options through the API.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Tom - Did Beppe indicate if it would still be USB or if there was going to be an Ethernet version?
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    His e-mail indicated he would use the TMATE 2. My guess is the same platform he used for the Flex 5000.
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like a good idea to me. This is my first computer rig and I am going thru knob withdraw. I am a CW only operator and I am used to having my one hand on the key and the other on the RF gain, AF gain, RIT.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    I thought I saw something from him where he was going to use enet.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I predict the Hercules DJ controllers and T-Mates and other similar devices will eventually morph into esthetically pleasing human interfaces that can be user-defined to satisfy their operational preferences. Hopefully these devices will not require the computer's focus to be on SmartSDR to communicate with the radio. I fully understand Tom's comment about taking his CW hand off of the key to effect changes in the radio. Having to find the mouse, grasp the mouse, and at the screen, and position the cursor on the screen control ... is a concentration breaker. A device with user-defined encoders would give the non-keying CW hand a "raison-d'etre" for something other than resting one's head on. As always, the mouse-only, screen-centric enthusiasts can simply ignore all this human interface hullabaloo and continue on their merry way enjoying the Flex knobless environment. Isn't it wonderful ... the Lamborghini is already in the radio ... the rest is relatively easy.
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My ideal SDR, or what ever you would call it, radio would be the Flex 6700 with a front panel similar to an Icom 7600 or 7700. Important knobs spaced apart. Left side AF and RF gain controls and right side RIT control and filter BW and the VFO in the middle. Best of both worlds. Excellent receiver performance direct A/D at front end, no mixers, IF's, synthesizers, Excellent control of the radio for contesting, DXing, or rag chew (real knobs (encoders) and plenty of them). My guess is as software costs and A/D's and FPGA's costs come down you will see more conventional looking rigs with the 6700 receiver and transmitter style design. Maybe a 6100 with one pan display, ham band only, 2 receivers and low cost. Just my 2 cents, Tom...........
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree with Charles. I have owned the shuttle pro, griffin knob and the flex knob. All served a purpose. I would like to have the shuttle pro operational. I used the dj Hercules and really liked it a little busy but you just programmed what you wanted. I am using Stu's iPad program and with it I never open the tools on the main screen. The great thing about the flex is there is no one radio that fits everyone but each person can Taylor their radio for their own needs. In the future all these will be available can't wait!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am a lefty who sends CW with my Right Hand. So I keep my Flex Control Knob to the left side of the Keyboard and the mouse on the RH next to my key. I am able to make quick changes using both hands. BTW... The Flex Control Knob is well worth the money! I would love to have my DJ Controller up and running with the 6500, too. I would like to be able to make quick adjustments to AGT-T and volume rapidly. Right now it takes too many mouse clicks...
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Amen, Dale, to "Flex-ability".
  • Beppe IK3VIG
    Beppe IK3VIG Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi, Tmate2 is a simple HID device like a mouse, no driver required. It is directly supported (no special .exe or Vcom required) in some SDR software right now. For F6K series I hope to make a client that connect to SmartSDR using a TCP. The remote operation in LAN will be immediate but, of course, you will need a PC to do this, 73 Beppe ik3vig woodboxradio
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Beppe,
                 Where does that stand now?  Is there a TCP connection?

Ned,  K1NJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.