Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

More Cats please :)

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in New Ideas
Will there be more CAT commands available soon...I hope? It would be great to have A>B, B>A, A=B and some command to retune the panadapter so that it follows the slice tuning anytime a band change is imposed to a slice on that panadapter. Tnx Greg
2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    We are making some changes to the tuning behavior in order to keep Slices that are tuned with non-SmartSDR clients (CAT, DDUtil, etc) on the Panadapter. Stay tuned.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Great to hear...thanks "E"!
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    As long as we are talking about CAT commands, can we make receiver slices look like VFO's and refer to them as A-H. ZZFA gets receiver slice A frequency ZZFB gets receiver slice B frequency ZZFC gets receiver slice C frequency ZZFD gets receiver slice D frequency ZZFE gets receiver slice E frequency (if equipped) ZZFF gets receiver slice F frequency (if equipped) ZZFG gets receiver slice G frequency (if equipped) ZZFH gets receiver slice H frequency (if equipped)
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    This would be great for new software yet to be developed but I doubt existing loggers and applications will modify their programs to take advantage of this for just one radio. It would be nice if they did. Imagine using N1MM with 4 log entry windows open for 4 slices (presumably on different bands), each with their own bandmaps showing....talk about fast S&P!!! One would have to take care with those contests that have limitations on the number of band changes in an hour but they don't all have that caveat. With the 6700 you can then use the other 4 slices to feed Flex's new skimmer application....I think they need to hire more programmers. :) Those skimmer apps can update N1MM using the telnet connection and populate the panadapters with call information...use UDP to interface to the N1MM database file to determine if the station has been worked or not to change the color of the label on the display. Maybe Flex should develope their own contest logger to fully leverage their capabilities. 73 Greg
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    We looked at doing something just like this when we were in the early stages of development for SmartSDR and SmartCAT. It turns out that CAT is really a pretty dated technology and there are much better interfaces for sending command and status info between a piece of software and a radio. Given this, we opted to do a simpler form of CAT to support legacy applications. Those that are interested in utilizing the full breadth of capabilities of the FLEX-6x00 radios in third party applications should contact us about our API to talk to the radio directly.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    "E" - The problem with this approach (I think) is that the current crop of successfull logging and contest logging applications are not likely to change anytime soon for one radio that is not likely to have a large share of the market. I know N1MM is presently undergoing a rewrite using .net 4.0. That may make things easier but I am not knowledgeable enough on such things to qualify that. It really seems like to leverage the 6000 capabilities it should have it's own logging program/contest logger. :) With the roadmap the way it is though it seems like these ideas are really fantasy that are 3-4 years away from reality. I guess they have to start somewhere though. :)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    But the current crop of radios used with these loggers only know about VFO-A and VFO-B, so whether they start support more VFOs (slices) or use the API, it looks like it is 6 of one and a half a dozen of another. The API is the way to go as it exposes a lot more of the radio's capabilities that a serial protocol can.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Until features are added to SmartSDR you can use RigSync to do the A>B, B>A, and A=B functions. Ed w2rf
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    DDUtil also supports the VFO A>B, B>A, A=B functions using Tuning Knob Aux Switch commands or by using the 'ZZVS" Cat command in a macro.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    And RigSync is compatible with DDUtil.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Steve and Ed.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Ed, is there a document to follow to set this up? Do you use a setting for just one rig and setup one virtual port?
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There isn't a special document. Just put SSmartSDR CAT on Rig-1 and Sync. At the moment the Kenwood 590 profile works best. I'm working on a customized one. And I'm ready for any questions.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I think that existing software would more likely add Flex's extra functionality to their existing serial protocols in the short term because most other radios already communicate this way. I am definitely interested in the API so that I can write my own software to interface to the radio.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I am going to close this topic. If you want to explore the RigSync issue in greater details, please start a new topic with an appropriate title.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.