Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 1.0.5 Transmit Panel Ergonomic Suggestion

Gary Robertson - KY5R
Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Don't know how many times I have hit the wrong "X" when trying to close the Transmit Panel on the right side of the screen in SmartSDR 1.0.5. Instead, I hit the wrong "X" and close down SmartSDR. The two "X"s are too close together on the screen. I would prefer that the Icon that is used to open the Transmit Panel could ALSO be used to close it in addition to the "X". Additionally, I wish the Transmit Panel Icon were on the right hand side of the screen near the TX Icon and time/date indicator, i.e., closer to the actual Transmit Panel. Just an ergonomic suggestion.
8 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I like this idea as well. I frequently open the transmit panel to check on my output power and/or VSWR and then close it again. It would be very convenient to leave my mouse pointer on the icon and give it another click if I wanted to close the transmit panel.
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Another suggestion would be If you click the Top X that would CLOSE SSDR Trigger a POP UP Window that asks... Are you sure you want to Close SSDR ? Yes or No Ken W9IE
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2020
    Nothing is more frustrating than being in the middle of a QSO, especially with rare DX, and suddenly shutting down SmartSDR by accident because you hit the wrong "X" while trying to close the Transmit Profile Panel. Getting a message asking you to confirm shutting down SmartSDR is consistent with how Windows OS generally works in most applications and could certainly be one solution to this problem. At least it gives you a chance to avoid an unwanted shutdown of SmartSDR. Would you provide such a warning message for any instance in SmartSDR where you can close some function, like the Transmit Profile Panel, by hitting an "X"? Some operators may get frustrated with getting such warnings. Frankly, I would like to get rid of that little "X" that closes the Transmit Profile Panel. I would prefer just hitting the Transmit Profile Icon once to open the Transmit Profile Panel and a second time to close it. I also still like the idea of moving the Transmit Profile Icon to the right hand side of the screen so it is nearer to the panel it controls. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking at adding the click to close functionality to the TX Panel Button in the next release. Keep the suggestions coming!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I like that, but I also want to add my support to the "idiot proofing" of the close button for SSDR. I have shut myself down twice because I hit the wrong 'X' or hit it by mistake while in QSO... It is very frustrating, but even more, very embarrassing to be showing off my new "high-tech" rig only to disappear due to a clumsy mouse click! (I know, I know....."Doctor, it hurts when I do this....." "So don't do that!...")
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    The TX control panel icon behavior has been changed in the next version of SmartSDR so that it will open and close the TX Control panel eliminating the need to click on the sub-windows close ([x]) control. Hopefully this will mitigate the accidental application closure when selecting the wrong window closure control
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks!
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    edited February 2015
    Thanks Tim for your reply.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.