Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem with Numbers COM.

F1EDG
F1EDG Member ✭✭
edited March 2018 in New Ideas
I'd rather love to assign myself the No. COM. If there has setup changes, it changes all alone and no it is not possible to return it to its place ... it is very unpleasant. Especially in a complicated installation. He chose port number 9 ... good. Tonight he wants to use the No. 4 as I have already a physical 4? ? Thank you kindly answer me. Jean-Pierre F1EDG

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Jean-Pierre, You can't exactly move to any Dedicated port, but what you can do is create a new dedicated part, and it should be outside your range to avoid conflicts. Open SmartCAT window, select "Serial Port" tab, "Add a Port" select Dedicated then accept. This will generate a new pair that is dedicated to the radio one end, and open port on the other. Highlight this new port and select "Change Assigned Port" , now when you check the "Main" tab, the radio dedicated has changed and now have a different Com connection port for CAT data.. This should be a new non-conflicting port.. BTW, you can have more than one..
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have changed this to an Idea topic.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm working it....getting close now. the problem for me....N1MM requires 2 comports. One for rig control, and one for ptt and they only allow the use of numbers 1 through 8. Add in a rotor (again many rotor software programs use low numbers) vspm got around that by allowing you to specifically dictate what a pair was. I could use a low and high number for a pair to fit the constraints of the program. But Smart CAT must be separated by a factor of 10 which really limits the number of possibilities remaining for programs and hardware still only accepting low numbers. I also have a amplifier, keyer, and antenna tuner, and require com ports. It sure would have been easier if the factor of 10 was not used as a separator. With vspm and PWSDR, I didn't have to juggle when switching from MMTTY (again limited to only 8) to WSJT, PSK and other modes. It's been a steep learning curve, and I'm not over the top I guess there must be some technical reason that SmatCat must be separated by 10. But it sure would have been easier for me. Wish I could attach the Excel spreadsheet I have which plots all the com port needs.
  • F1EDG
    F1EDG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Dudley and Tim, thank you for advice and modification. It happened again, and it is necessary to delete all virtual COM ports, to put everything in place. Anyway, I found it more effective to create a dedicated port for each program, and it works very well. Regards Jean-Pierre
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for that tip. That could help me. In my case DXLabs Commander uses port 11, as that is outside the legal range of N1MM, MMTTY and other programs I use. So I made a pair of dedicated ports Com 28><38. If there is NO existing com 11, can I change one side to be 11><38 and designate com 11 as the port to be used by my software?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.