Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

An Easy Way to Wire your 6000 for Digital Ops

Neal_K3NC
Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
Hi guys, If you have been waiting for the arrival of DAX to get your 6000 series rig on digital but not using the radio on your favorite modes is killing you, here is an easy way to do this without soldering HD-15 plugs and wiring your own! Go to the "new Radio Shack", monoprice.com. Put one of these HD15 to BNC Male cables in the shopping card. http://bit.ly/HjoBYG Then go here and put 5 of these BNC Female to RCA female adapters in the card. http://bit.ly/1g3gLns When they come, put the female BNC/RCA female adapters in the ends of the cable, then plug the HD15 side of the cable into the back of your 6000 series radio (the ACC jack). Now you can run regular rca cables to the sound card or digital device you are using. I would recommend some ferrites on each end of the RCA cable but thats up to you. On my cable (see warning below, your cable might be differently wired), the red cable is connected to Line In and the green cable is Line 1 Out and black is PTT. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE CHECK THESE WITH THE CABLE YOU GET! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR CABLE IS WIRED DIFFERENTLY AND IT FRIES ANYTHING IN YOUR RADIO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works for me however!

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Neal, Have you got another link for the HD15 to BNC Male cable? Clicking on the above link takes me to a Russian foorball site. The scary part is I kept looking anyway .... LOL
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Sri, you cannot paste into the "create a question" box so I tried typing it and failed. Here it is http://bit.ly/Hj0BYG
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks Neal... good find.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    G'day, The shipping from CONUS to AU on this is huge. But I found this one in CN. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VGA-15-pin-male-8-BNC-4-RCA-female-cable-/221112598060 Will comment further when it turns up. Andrew
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am getting close to desperation waiting for DAX to arrive. I hate wires and knobs... that's why I bought into SDR. I am going to consider your suggestion but, first I have to sit on it to decide.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You're missed on digi, Ernest!
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Even with cables, the 6xxx is fantastic on digital. Today I'm using my signalink usb as a voice keyer for CQ WW SSB. Feels like cheating, but it really works well.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    what is the Blue cable? just curious?
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm one of those 'it's gotta be neat' cable to and fro types. Drives me crazy with the mass of wiring that I have with my Flex5K. I try to color code, and chart all cableing so I can troubleshoot faster. Which is why I went Flex and VAC
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I just wondered, will Flex offer a readymade cable for that 15 pin ACC connector?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    The reason this cable arrangment works so well is due to the outstanding engineering done by the Flex engineers. You will notice that the ACC plug is the same as a VGA cable. If you go online and look at the pin assignments on that 15 pin connector http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGAVesaDdc_pinout.shtml , you can see that Flex built on those to make the ACC assignments. For instance the red BNC cable uses pin 1 for signal and pin 6 for ground. Flex does the same thing, its the Line In connection and uses pin 1 for signal and pin 6 for ground. Bill, the blue line is Line 2 out for your info. If Flex doesn't offer a cable commercially, I will though my store.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    only gripe I have is the acc connector is too close to the speaker connector; its a very tight fit and I had to play with the speaker connector a bit to get it working. Neal -- that monoprice connector looks great; I ended up going to Rshack to get a vga connector and soldering on what I needed.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    If the blue line is Line2 out....then that could be used for SLICE 2 and copy another signal, or another band?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Neal, Your warning to check the cable is a good one. Some video cables have PIN 4 grounded. I have a few of them. It appears this is a variation of the spec. Below are two examples I found, the first is from BlackBox. Grounding pin 4 will key the radio. W5UN ran into this - see related posting. http://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/an_easy_way_to_wire_your_6000_for_digital_ops_ouch I also found this on some cables when building my PC to 6700 interface to provide CW keying from a com port on the PC. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.