Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

OmniRig support in PowerSDR??

2»

Answers

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Yes it is. Router would not run with the other VCP programs running. When I had the flex online before sending it in I had a couple ports created by VSPM and a couple with the SmartCat. Router would not run....it would just hang there and not recognize the Stationmaster. Once I deleted all the VCPs and closed SmartCat....reboot...then it would run. I can send you the email I got from Joe about the compatability. I would look into the US Navigator....is it now being manufactured and sold by Timewave. Once configured correctly I had no conflicts between that and the DDUTIL/SmartCat ports.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Pls send the email from Joe. And will look into US Navigator...
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Will do Ed. Won't be till this evening though after I get home from work. Wait....I have a copy on my phone...will send it shortly...what is your email address Ed?
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    ehr at qrv dot com
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Radi, How is the MH Router working for you? It appears that the following definitive answer comes directly from MicroHAM: Note: You *can not* run any other virtual port application while Router is running. That means *nothing* with another version of Eltima code, no Com0com, no VSPE. However it seems to say that if the other VSP apps are not running, you can run the MH router. Tks, Ed w2rf
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    Ed, I would heartily recommend you the microHAMII, I have been using the microhHAM1 from the beginning and purchased MK2 as it has integrated sound card, ideal for AFSK so no external AF wires needed. And has excellent support from Joe W4TV on the Yahoo Groups ( http://www.microHAM-USA.com and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microHAM ) BUT: NOT if you want to use it with SDR only ! Here is what Joe responded when I told him I might drop FT1000MP and use only the SDR w. external RF amplifier: "Very few of the MK II features will be useful with the SDR *unless* you connect the CAT output (RS-232) *back to the computer* like a normal transceiver. Almost all of the MK II features are driven by the CAT data - mode switching, automatic Mic/Line input switching, etc. In addition to not having CAT data, most SDR transceivers lack separate analog mic and line inputs as well as an audio output *before* the volume control. SDR software - particularly PowerSDR - is very poorly designed for actual digital mode *use* So, all depends what you want to use with MK2. If it's a "normal" transceiver, then FB! 73, Radi
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Maybe its worth finding a used MKII to experiment with but based on what I have seen and the info from Joe it seems it would be problematic. As a side note, I did NOT try it with the SmartCat or DDUtil programs running with Router.....My fix was getting rid of ALL of the other ports before it would work. It is possible I guess that it may have been DDUtil or the Navigator ports that could have been the source of the specific conflict.
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    Ed, It is true that Router doesn't like to have other virtual comport programs running; some of them having the old Eltima drivers. But, that's why microHAM introduced compatible "cables" and "bridges" into their Router, which should substitute the VSPM, Com)Com and others.. I suggest you subscribe to the yahoo microHAM groups and address any questions there, Joe will surely be happy to respond. He is offering a first-class support there! 73, Radi F6GNZ
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    Ed, In RigSync timing setups there are three selectable timings: Rig1, Sync and Rig Delay. Would you please clarify their mutual relationships (which ones have to be lower or higher from the others) With only SDR and RigSync tested different combinations of Rig1 and Synt timings, not touching default Rig timing of 250ms. I was changing frequencies many times and noting the lowest and highest response times with Rig1 timings of 200, 500 and 800mS respectively and Sync timings all available (50 to 1000mS) with each of these three Rig1 timings. Minimum values were ranging from 1 to 10 seconds and maximum from 10 to 16 seconds, the worst case being both Rig1 and Sync timing of 500mS (minimum 10 max 16 secs). The lowest sync times were at 50 and 100mS sync timings with all three Rig1 timing , but still with these figures there were many long delays between 13 and 16 seconds. Have not tested yet with other too many Sync Rig Delay figures that range from 50 to 2000ms, so would like first to get your comment on these. 73, Radi
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Radi, Poll Interval sets an internal timer; RigSync looks at the Rigs for changes after that interval. Response is faster for low settings, but more computer resources are used. The increase in delay of response should never be more than 1x the difference in Poll Interval. So if you go from 50 to 1000, the maximum increase in delay should be 950ms, i.e. less than 1sec. Rig Delay sets the maximum time for a transaction with a radio. This does not affect response delay. However if the radio does not respond by Rig Delay, the transaction will time out, and the synchronization state will be ambiguous. You can see the transaction activity and timeouts if any, on the Monitor panel. Transact allows the transaction mechanism to be restricted to RX sync only. This may help with some slow rigs or rigs with poor or non-standard CAT. I don't have any specific information about which rigs it helps. The kind of timing delays you see are almost certainly outside of RigSync. They will cause the RigSync transactions with the problem radio to time out, and you might be able to see that happen on the Monitor panel. But the overall problem seems to be with the VSP connection to the SDR. Is that PowerSDR? If so, then I'm guessing that the information we have from microHAM about their VSP compatibility issues may be a factor here. Ed w2rf
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Another factor occurred to me. OmniRig has its own polling. Rig Delay sets the RigSync interval for polling OmniRig. But on the OmniRig tab each radio has its own polling interval. I would set that to a low value for testing. You can watch CPU consumption to get an idea of the impact if any. My OmniRig polling is currently set to 500, and my RigSync interval is 100. As I recall during RigSync development I got a response improvement by setting the OmniRig polling to a lower value. However at the moment with these settings and both the 5000 and 6700 linked by com port pairs, I don't have any complaints. Ed w2rf
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi Ed, I have restored my Windows 7 to an earlier restore point to get rid of all traces of prevoious installations of Com0Com and VSPE, in order to leave microHAM router-only Eltima software and virtual ports. After doing that , I re-started the trials. No change in behavior With Sync interval and rig Delay both of 100ms and Omnirig Rig1 (SDR) at 100 and Rig2 at 500 or 800, I have exactly same issues as before: sometime it would sync within 1 second, and sometimes it may take 10 ! There is always a sync delay between SDR to RigSyns and an aditional one from RigSync to FT1000MP. Are you using an external sound card or the one internal to PC??? I start thinking that maybe the reason is that my Dell Laptop shares resources between its internal soundcard (IDT High Def Codec running at 48kbps sampling) and the rest.. I started playing with the internal card for simplicity and have an external EMU0204 waiting to be attached to the SDR and will see if it changes the behavior. 73, Radi
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Radi, I'm not sure what effect a sound card could have on this behavior. What SDR are you using? I am still suspicious of MH router, CAT fork, or virtual ports, especially after comments yesterday from W4TV and others. For further isolation I suggest taking RigSync out of the loop. Close it and just look at the OmniRig display in Band Master. See if there is a delay there. This will be an important piece of information. Next try getting MH out of the picture. Let me know what happens. Ed w2rf
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    OK Ed, Will try with BandMaster. Concerning MH, I have already got ot out of circuit in previous tests, when I used only RigSync w. Omnirig and VSPM , even without FT1000MP, just to see how fast RigSync display picks-up the changes done in the SDR console, and there was still that delay issue... As SDR I am using the Genesis G11 kit that I've just finished assembling when we started conversation here. And the console is GSDR, which is a direct derivative of the PowerSDR, just adapted to the G11. 73, Radi
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    ED, I tried to get completely rid of the microHAM and use the same configuration you have, i.e. just two rigs and a virtual com pair created with VSPM. When using Omnirig1.14 with my FT1000MP connected via the microHAM microKeyer 2/Router port, Omnirig detected and controlled FT1000MP correctly, except that for some unknown reasons the link was frequently broken even with rather high polling interval selected. I tried to see if this happens if I connect the FT1000MP without the microHAM router, so I disabled it and connected FT1000MP RS232 CAT port with it's original cable to the USB port of my PC via the FTDI RS232/USB adapter. This has created the USB Serial Port COM7. But, now Omnirig does't see the FT1000MP on COM7 ! Tried to force USB to othetr ports, nothing! Why???? Then, I configured my DX4WIN logger for FT1000MP COM7/4800bps 8N1 (same as in Omnirig) and the logger controls and displays correctly the FT1000MP frequencies. Please give me your opinion! Best 73, Radi
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Radi, This is entirely out of my area. I had thought you were using a Flex radio. 73 & GL, Ed w2rf
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    Sorry Ed, I am not using a Flex radio, but am using the control software which is directly derived from the public version of the Flex PowerSDR Console. This was the reason for which I found this site, read the PowerSDR related text and asked my question. Now I understand your comment and have no hard feelings about it. And thank you for your past ongoing help. Best 73, Radi F6GNZ
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    No prob, Radi. It's just that you are using a configuration that I am not familiar with. Hope you can find a solution. 73 Ed w2rf
  • Radi
    Radi Member
    edited November 2013
    Hi Ed, Just had an idea: replaced 8N1 by 8N2 and IT WORKS!!! (other logging programs worked with 8N1 but not Omnirig..) Now I can go to bed... Best 73, Radi F6GNZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.