Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smoothing filter or averaging for the data trace

Ned K1NJ
Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Makes signals more visible in noise, reduces operator fatigue for prolonged usage.
1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Alan, K2WS
    Alan, K2WS Member
    edited February 2015
    The variable averaging control on PowerSDR's pan adapter is a very useful feature. It's much easier on my eyes and it also made measuring the width and ripple of a received signal's spectrum stand out. Variable averaging can also be done with a 2nd trace of a different color. Anybody else miss those smoothed pan traces??
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It is a wonderful option on PSDR not only for the panadapter and pan-fall, but also in the "spectrum" display for both receive and transmit. I find that I can adjust my transmit audio EQ fairly closely to what I want by using the averaged visual clues in the "spectum" display. It is very useful to me. I hope it makes the list on future revisions. (And I can't wait to try it when my 6500 arrives!)
  • W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited April 2016
    I wish to add my agreement with the need for averaging the pandapter trace - like PSDR. It is more than difficult to effectively use the un-averaged view when try to locate a vacant spot for a group rag-chew. The wild gyrations of the trace mask the visibility of a weak signal representing a QSO that II would rather not fire up on top of their QSO. While I really consider this a necessity for me to ultimately drop PSDR I totally agree that it should stand behind a number of bigger warts and blemishes that are being straightened out. Could we see it somewhere on the roadmap at least?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My Yaesu FTDx9000 has several display modes including the trace averaging which I prefer. After inquiring about the FLEX approach to averaging, Ned / K1NJ send me some screen shots from his Flex5000. They demonstrate how the averaging helps with weak signal CW DX in PowerSDR. It works as good as or better than my FTDx9000. See the snapshot below. I added the lines and arrows to show the two modes. In the screen shots the signal is a constant carrier about 10db above the noise. For weak signal DXing I think the difference is huge and much better than simply slowing the FPS rate. Other thoughts? Do you agree? Thanks to Ned for the pictures and insight. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ ************ CLICK to enlarge ***********
  • EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I wish to add also my agreement with the need for averaging the pandapter trace like PSDR. Cheers, Emil, de DL8JJ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Has anyone heard whether the "trace averaging" is going to be implemented/incorporated in one of the planned roadmap features? - waterfall? - panafall? - scope? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Request for trace averaging fulfilled Dec 20 in Beta 1.0.24. The interface control from the front panel is good, better than menu control on PowerSDR. It is more useful at all panadapter bandwidths that way. Thank you very much. Ned, K1NJ
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have to say that Flex's implementation of *variable* averaging is pretty dang awesome. Great job guys, exceeded my expectations!
  • W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited April 2016
    My only disagreement with these praises is they understated how good the averaging implementation turned out. Very worth waiting for. Now lets have it in PWRSDR!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.