Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using N1MM Logger With SmartSDR/SmartCAT, FlexControl, and K1EL WinKeyer

Jim-WD5IYT
Jim-WD5IYT Inactive Employee
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Here is a document I wrote up when setting up N1MM on the K5FRS club station. I've also tried this procedure at my home station. I have only used this on a FLEX-6700, but there is no reason it wouldn't work exactly the same on the 6500. I hope this will be helpful for some of you who use N1MM logger for contesting. Feel free to post questions or tips. I am primarily a CW operator, so my objective was to incorporate the K1EL WinKeyer using the rear panel Accessory connector on the FLEX-6700, while still using the built-in iambic keyer with a set of paddles plugged into the radio’s front panel key jack. I have only installed this combination on two computers, and it worked on both of them. So, I do not have troubleshooting information in the document. If anyone tries this and has problems, I'd appreciate any information you have on how to fix them. I'll add them to the document. Here's the link: http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=430

Comments

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Nice writeup Jim!
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Nice Job. Though I don't think the PTT is required for CW with the 6700. I use my Navigator Winkey interface also connected to the ACCY connector for CW but do not use any Winkey PTT and it operates fine. I have not tried this but does the ACCY CW (FSK) input operate as a straight key input even when SSDR key button is set to Iambic? Does that function ONLY apply to the front panel key input? Thanks Greg
  • Jim-WD5IYT
    edited October 2013
    PTT is definitely not required to make this work. I prefer it so I can set the delays differently between the WinKeyer and the iambic keyer. The accessory connector FSK acts as a straight key input in CW mode. It is independent from the iambic keyer. You can run both at the same time.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Cool...I will change my setup connecting my key directly to the 6700 keyer function and use the Winkey for software keying control. Thanks.
  • Jim-WD5IYT
    edited October 2013
    Hi Dan. Actually, at my home station, I have a second set of paddles plugged into the WinKeyer. In addition to feeding the HF radio, I use the WinKeyer to feed my VHF and UHF radios that do not have keyers in them. Normally during a contest, I set the WinKeyer speed with N1MM, but have the radio keyer set to a slower speed in case I need to send a repeat at a slower speed. Glad you got some good info from my write-up.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    This question is for Greg.You are using the Navigator and WinKey for your FLEX. I have been successful is enabling the PTT on the FLEX using WK2. However, cannot get the setting on the FLEX correct. The SET Messages in WinKey2 and the PTT on the Navigator and FLEX works as normal. However, when using one of the Test messages, the message is sent by WinKey and the Flex will key with the PTT. However, no output from the FLEX. I have normal operations from the Navigator the Flex in digital modes. Normal CW seems to operate correctly. My issue may be that I am also using an external Palstar electronic keyer connected to the FLEX Key jack. I disconnected this keyer and still cannot get the WinKey2 messages to be sent by the FLEX.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    How do you have the Winkey connected to the flex? Via the ACCY port FSK pins? The Flex does not need PTT asserted for CW. Use the Navigator Options program to turn off the PTT option for the Winkey. If you need PTT from the Navigator for other modes or programs use the dedicated PTT COM port from the Navigator. On the transmit panel on the 6700 i usually turn off IAMBIC as my key is connected to the Navigator. But from what I understand that button only impacts the front panel key input, so it should not effect the ACCY input. Make sure your optional Winkey settings are at the default settings or zero to start with. Hope this helps. 73 Greg
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg: Thanks for the Info I am using the Navigator ACC interface cable which was purchased from the Navigator folks. The Navigator keys the FLEX through the ACC jack using Digital and RTTY modes. When using CW, I set up the FLEX for normal CW operation using the external Palstar keyer plugged into the FLEX Front Panel Key jack, all performs excellent. However, if I start WK2, which is configured to work with the Navigator, I have no predefined messages that will work. Running the WK2 "Test WK" mode, I get all correct "WK" interface indications from the WK2 panel. My initial question is the FLEX CW configuration. If it is set up for CW and using an external keyer connection through the front jack, is the FLEX ACC interface on the back of the FLEX still functional. It appears that when a KEY is plugged into the front panel FLEX KEY jack, the CW input at the ACC terminal is disabled...I will try your recommended setup for the Navigator and unplug the keyer from the front panel of the FLEX. Overall my attempt for using WinKey is to get predefined CW messages to help with my CW contest and MARS operations. The old Flex 5Ka had predefined CW messages built into the software and made it extremely easy to use during contest.Thanks for your help.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I don't believe plugging your keyer into the front disables the ACCY input. I've seen reports of others doing exactly that. The ACCY key input remains active as a straight key/computer key input regardless of the front panel key input configuration. Let me know how it goes. 73 Greg
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg: I can get the Navigator and WinKey to Key the Flex and send predefined text. However, the Flex must be set to the following configuration. MIC input selected (+ACC not selected) VOX input selected and slider to 10 Flex set for USB If the Flex is set for VOX off, ACC for Input, +ACC Off, and Flex Mode set to CW. The Navigator will not key or WinKey operate the Flex with these settings. The Navigator and the paddle will key the Flex if I use the MIC Input, VOX and USB mode. Also, WinKey will send the TEST messages with this Flex setup. I have not been successful to get the Navigator to key the FLEX in the CW modes. The Navigator is configured with COM8 Winkey (OFF), COM9 FSK (OFF), COM10 PTT, COM11 CAT and COM13 for Navigator configuration. The Flex is set to COM4/14, COM 5/15, COM 6/16 and COM7/17. These COM ports work correctly using the FLEX with the Navigator and HRD/DM780 in Digital or RTTY Modes. My CW operation uses the Flex and external keyer connected through the Flex front panel KEY connection. I am trying to setup a method that will send CW Text from WinKey using the Navigator. Everything on this setup is pending the predefined SmartSDR CW capability update from FLEX. Thanks
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    If you are using Winkey why do you have the Winkey COM port (8) off and what do you mean by off? Is it disabled? To send CW the 6700 needs to be in CW mode. If I recall off the top of my head the ACCY pins to use are 4 and one of the grounds (pin 5). What version Winkey is in your Navigator. If it is a bit older one I think you should use the WKMgr program. I think that has a send window and a couple messages you can program. That needs to connect to the WINKEY COM port you identified above. When you send something from there does the CW light flash on the Navigator? Does the light flash when you try to use paddles connected to the Navigator paddle input? Did you set the Navigator Options program so that PTT is set to OFF? Remember, the only COM port you need to worry about for CW is the NAVigator Winkey port and you do not use that in any way with SSDR. It is only for external software to communicate with the Navigator Winkey function. 73 Greg
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Greg: In the Navigator (NavOpt) configuration, the WinKey PTT is set to OFF. When sending CW from the Paddle or WinKey, the Navigator CW LED lights with the keying. If I set the Navigator configuration for WinKey to "ON" the Navigator and/or WinKey messages will key the FLEX PTT. However, the FLEX has no RF OUTPUT when set to operate in CW Mode, and keyed by the Navigator or WinKey. The FLEX works correctly when operating CW using the external keyer connected to the front KEY panel. My attempt to use N1MM Logger indicates connection to the FLEX by showing the Frequency, Mode and VFO A. However, N1MM Software keys the FLEX PTT in the CW Mode but does not show any RF OUtput or monitor output. I will keep working with the issue until I can resolve it. Thanks for your help!
  • Ron - K1RE
    Ron - K1RE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Jim, I'm running the Flex-6700 (set to Com4), FlexControl (Com9) with WinKeyer USB (set to Com2) with N1MM Logger per your great instructions. Everything works perfectly with Key 1 connected to front panel Key input. However, when I try to add the DXLab suite of programs with the N1MM Logger active, I get multiple "Unable to open Com4 as the primary CAT... Already in use", and, of course, I'm not getting any connection of the programs to the radio. If I terminate N1MM Logger, the DXLab suite work fine. I'm sure this is a simple "fix" but I'm not having any success. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. 73, Ron, K1RE
  • Jim-WD5IYT
    edited November 2013
    Hello Ron. You will have to create an additional CAT serial pair using the SmartCAT control panel, as two programs cannot talk to the same serial port simultaneously. If you add another serial pair, you can point N1MM to one and DXLab to another, and it should work. You do this in the "Serial Ports" tab in SmartCAT. Add a port, choose dedicated, so it will always mirror the CAT data. Let me know if you have trouble.
  • Ron - K1RE
    Ron - K1RE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jim, That did it! Thanks so much for the direction. I'm loving all aspects of the new 6700 and applications. Will give all a good workout during CQWW DX CW next weekend. Again, many thanks. 73, Ron, K1RE
  • Bernie W7DMC
    Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    An awesome article - us dummies need more well written "how to" articles. Thank You Thank You
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Jim,

Thanks for your efforts. I just tried to download the document, but the link leads into nowhere.

Tom
    DK1EY
  • EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015

Tom,

see this:

http://www.flexradio.com/files/using_n1mm_logger_with_smartsdr-pdf/

or go to:

Support/Downloads/SmartSDR for Windows/"How to" Guides

cu

Emil-de DL8JJ

• DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Mni tks Emil, and nice too see you here! Last times we met at Friedrichshafen and Erbenhausen and talked abt CW via SDR.

Finally the Flex-6300 made it to my desk. 

vy 73 es hpe cuagn
    Tom
    DK1EY
  • Dan Moore
    Dan Moore Member ✭✭
    Hi Jim,
    I can't access your document "Here's the link: http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=430"
    Please advise how I can get a copy.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Do a Google search for:

Using N1MM Logger With SmartSDR

and you will find it...

• Vic K7HI
    Vic K7HI Member
    I was able to download the document from here:
    http://www.catlog.net/_Descarregas/Manuals/54-FLEX/Flex%20Using_N1MM_Logger_With_SmartSDR.pdf

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.