Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect PW1 power amp to 6700?

tompanderson
tompanderson Member
edited January 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I want to connect my IC-PW1 linear amplifier to my Flex 6700. The manual is confusing at least to me. Does it require an external relay? What are the flex equivalents of DC out, Send, and ALC? Thanks, Tom

Answers

• W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited October 2013
    Just a note I do not think the ALC is working yet in the radio (the last information I read) Is there a place I can find the manual for the IC-PW1 on the internet? So I can look at the amplifiers specifacations.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You should be able to get it running using DDUTIL
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited October 2013
    The Manuel said the Send 1 and 2 on the amplifier is 5V @ 100mA the TX1-3 on the Flex can handle 45V @ 140mA Max so you do not need a isolation relay. However, until Flex gets the ALC working make sure you keep the Flex out put power down below 100 Watts! When they do get the ALC working set the amplifiers ALC output for a range of 0 to - 4V which is the range the Flex uses.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You can control your PW1 with autodrive on DDUTIL the same we did it on the 5000.... The PW1 usually needs far less than 100 W drive to run 1KW but that is usually band specific... another feature of DDUTIL is that you can set autodrive levels by band.... I ran the PW1- DDUTIL-5000A without ALC for years with no problems... I doubt if it will be a problem with the 6700 except that you wont need autodrive and DDUTIL when they get the ALC working.
  • tompanderson
    tompanderson Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the responses! I'll look into DDUTIL. TOM
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Did you succeed to control IC-PW1 using DDUtils v3.0?
    I am trying to control the band switch through CI-V using DDUtils v3.0 - enabling Amps tab ICOM-PW1 with no success.   I just want to sync the band switch of linear amp with Flex6500 over CI-V, one way flow Flex6500 -> DDUtils v3.0 -> CI-V.
    I appreciate if you can teach me how to control linear band swithc from Flex6?00. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Yes I did succeed but I sold my PW-1 and replaced it with an Expert 2K-FA so I don't have much configuration information anymore Ido recal that the connection was not always. 100% reliable as you had to switch bandsaw couple of times to get sync I used DDUTIL connected to a serial port to a CT-17 level converter to produce CI-V Then I followed the instructions on the DDUTIL web site for PW1 If you get stuck post to the DDUTL group and ask Steve K5FR for help
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Thak you.
    I will ask K5FR.

deJI1BNU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.