Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

+20 dB mike preamp shows active after cold start, but isn't active.

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
On my 6500 running V 1.0, After a cold (no power) start, the +20 dB mike preamp button is highlighted blue, but it isn't active. After cycling it off and on again, it works fine. This may have been reported before, but I don't remember seeing it.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This looks to be an initial condition bug. I have entered this into our bug tracker for further investigation.
  • KM4CJ
    KM4CJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Ken or Tim, I got V1.00 running on my 6500. Where is the +20 dB mic boost? Did it get moved. Does not show up on my screen. There is Mic (pull down witih selecion) with +ACC button, COMP, and MON. Thanks
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It is under Setup/Voice on the top menu.
  • KM4CJ
    KM4CJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Much Appreciated... Now I remember that being moved there.. Have fun with your 6500! I am having a blast and can't wait as move down the road map. Thanks again for the quick response, 73 Steve
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I did the "multiple click trick" with the +20 dB button and it seems to have done the trick, although I have to still run the mic gain at 95 or so to keep the peak indicator at the 0 dB level. The compression meter actually does something now with audio input! Checked my compression ratio via my LP-100a, for me a setting of 40 on the compressor gives me a ratio of around 12 dB. Listened to it in the monitor, you can really hear that downward expander working in my shack. Really nice to have a real-time monitor! No delay at all.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yes, found that to be a problem for me as well! I had mic set at 100 percent and comp at 80. I clicked on and off the boost button and I had to adjust it all way down. now it all looks good. thanks for posting that.
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited June 2020
    Now that the +20db button has been moved to the setup menu under microphone, what about the balanced input?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    In what regard? Please explain.
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited October 2013
    When the +20db button was on the transmit control panel, it appeared to affect all inputs. Now that it has been moved to the setup menu under microphone, it appears to only affect the microphone input. Does the balanced input have a +20db option? I am using the balanced input with my Heil mic.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I just did a test and the +20 dB boost is enabled on both the BAL and MIC settings when clicked in the Voice setup tab.
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks, Tim. But I think you ought to move the boost button back to where it was previously so it doesn't appear to only affect the mic input.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It would be nice to move the +20 button it back to the front panel, IF there is room for it. There might not be. I was thinking the other day about all the additional controls that will need to be put on the front panel when they add FM, DAX, Anti-VOX, Noise Gate, and other functions. I realize that there may not be room if they are trying to keep all the different modules the same height in order to work with alternate screen arrangements in the future.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    This defect has been addressed in SmartSDR v1.1
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Tim, Another thing to consider: if the +20 button is engaged and one switches from BAL to ACC, the software turns off the +20 button. When one switches back to BAL, the state is not restored and you have to go and turn it back on again. Seems to me that there should be persistance of state here.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This will be rectified when we have advanced persistence added to SmartSDR for Windows.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.