Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mouse click tune

Tom-KJ4QDZ
Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
If I want to tune via mouse click it is necessary to highlight the blue bar (filter) at which time a the bar (for lack of a better term) will highlight yellow, then I can click anywhere in that panadapter to select a frequency. Seems to me it is an unnecessary step for mouse click tune, to have to first highlight the blue bar and have it highlight yellow. If I'm clicking in that panadapter that means I want to tune there, now. I would recommend allowing simple mouse click tune on any displayed panadapter.
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Double click anywhere on the panadapter.
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
    edited October 2013
    If I have 2 panadapters displayed, 1 slice each. I have top one highlighted (yellow). If I click anywhere in the panadapter on the bottom one nothing happens. I have to highlight the bottom slice to click tune anywhere within the bottom panadapter.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    You are correct. I will write this up as a problem report.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Tom, We discussed this issue this morning. The feedback from the development team is that click tune is working as designed. The panadapter must have an active slice (VFO carrier line is yellow) before the click tune (double mouse click) feature is accessible. We have decided to discuss changing the behavior in a future version of SmartSDR.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I imagine the original design was done this way to prevent accidental frequency changes by clicking in the wrong pan window without the intended slice being made active. In future days when 4/8 slices are permitted, there could be much confusion as to which slice is intended to be moved when clicking on a spot on a pan without first activating the proper slice. In cases where there is no slice or only one slice open in a pan, I could see the advantage to moving it without making a slice the "active" slice. It would even be nice when there is NO slice opened to have a new slice automatically open at the location of the double click. That would save several steps and "clicks" I know that this would also take a series of and/or logic questions in the programming in order to make it work right. (i.e.... IF no slice is open..THEN open new slice. IF a slice is open...THEN move the slice to the new frequency. IF more than one slice is open...AND one of the slices is "active"...THEN move that slice to the new frequency. IF more than one slice is open...AND none of the slices is "active"...THEN do nothing...etc.) There even could be a selectable option... "clicking in an empty pan opens a new RX slice." or "clicking in pan with only one slice opens new slice" or "clicking in pan with only one slice moves the slice." There are lots of possible options, but with 8 slices and 4 pans on a 6700 this could get to be very complicated!
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
    edited October 2013
    Ok Tim thanks for the status on this. As for me, at this time, I find this extra step annoying. We'll have to see how it goes when 4/8 slices are enabled and see if and how the behavior changes when this many slices are available and open. Thanks for explanation.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Your very welcome.
  • Beppe IK3VIG
    Beppe IK3VIG Member
    edited October 2013
    I agree with Tom and with Ken too. a single click on pan actives the tuning bar automatically (this is the logical/historical way as in FLEX-5000+RX2) but.....what would happen when there is more than one "not active" slice receiver on the same PAN ? This is a very Hamlet question: "To be or not to be ?" which slice receiver? 73 Beppe ik3vig woodboxradio
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Many good points. An UNDO command would address some of the issues. If you move a slice by mistake an UNDO that moves it back to the last frequency or frequencies. Perhaps a right click on the pan to create a slice? What's awkward is an interface that silently does nothing when you double click. I'd also like a way to drop breadcrumbs on the pan as I tune to remind me of frequencies to return to.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I like the UNDO function. Using the right click to open a new slice after one is already open is also a neat possibility.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    As I was operating in a contest today, I realized the pain when I had two panadaptors with a slice receiver on each open on two different bands. It was easy to forget you had to highlight the the slice before you could double click. I think the idea of clicking on a panadaptor to activate the rx is a great idea. Of course if you have multiple slices open on a single panadaptor then that is another issue as Beppe pointed out.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new idea topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: Undo feature

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.