Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v0.16.4 - Change Antenna selection on second panadapter, changes Antenna for first.

Options
Thom Baxter
Thom Baxter Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm running a 6500 with the SmartSDR Preview Release v0.16.4 installed. When I have two panadapters open, one on 40 meters on top with a receiver, and 10 meters on the bottom with no receiver, when I change the ant on 10 meters (Bottom) to my receive antenna, it changes the reception visably and audiably on the 40 meters (top). It appears that changing the antenna on the second panadapter changes the antenna on the first panadapter, however, it still say Ant 1 on the top Panadapter. 73 DE WI4USA Thom

Comments

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Options
    From the caveats in the release notes: "The antenna switching logic is not complete, so there are a variety of antenna switching actions that may result in anomalous behavior."
  • Thom Baxter
    Thom Baxter Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Do you want us to report specific cases that we have found or not? This makes it sound like you don't. Since we don't know what you consider specifically working or not with antenna switching, do you not want feedback on it?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I know how it sounds to say that we don't want to hear about problems, but the truth is that we completely overhauled the entire antenna control code. Out with the old, in with the new. So comments about the old system aren't going to help us. I'm testing the newer system here and it is working really well. I think you'll be impressed.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Can we look forward to some "basic" persistence with this new matrix coding?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The short answer is no. The "basic" persistence definition is here: http://gsfn.us/t/47itt.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The state of the ATU is not mentioned in the basic persistence list. Will it be necessary to re-tune after turning on the radio?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    "Equi donati dentes non inspiciuntur" ha-ha
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I hope I'm not just dumb about this radio, but if one only has a single SCU to feed, how is it possible to have different antennas feeding different bands? Is there some sort of duplexer function built into the 6500 receive path that I overlooked?
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No, if you select ANT1 you get ANT1 for all slices that are up...
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    OK. Thanks for the sanity affirmation ;-) So the problem being discussed is just a transposed/incorrect nomenclature issue, not one of functionality, per se.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mike: The situation is quite a bit simplified in the FLEX-6500 by the sheer fact that there is just one Spectral Capture Unit (SCU) -- this is everything from the ADC down through the hardware filters into the ADC. On the FLEX-6700, it is a bit more complex since there are 2 SCUs and 5 antenna inputs.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Eric: Yes, thanks, I get all that. The OP's description of his 6500's problem behavior seemed perfectly normal to me (apart from labeling) had me digging through block diagrams ;-)
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good point. I missed that he was using a 6500. This is indeed the designed behavior. Thanks for catching that.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Eric, How long will it be before there is persistence for the antenna selections? Remembering what antenna is selected and the tuner settings should be a basic item not to mention a safety function. Tnx Greg AB7R
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I went looking on the roadmap for the official answer and was surprised not to see it! Unofficially, I believe the current thought is to put this into v1.1.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Yes, patience grasshopper. (and keep the 5000 online if available)
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks Eric. That's why I asked...I don't recall seeing it either. Have a good weekend. The 6700 has been behaving well in the CQWW RTTY on a wide open 15M today. Still need the offsets compensated for to be able to use click tuning though. 73 Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You will need to do it one at a time, or like me, I am adding an HF/VHF diplexer that will allow me to have my 6 meter antenna connected at the same time as my HF antenna so I can monitor 6 Meter beacons while working HF.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, the Flex-6XXX will create a booming market for external duplexers of all sorts with the kind of simultaneous spectrum coverage it has.
This discussion has been closed.