Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transmission Purity Software: Pre-distortion Software

Joe WD5Y
Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
edited April 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
In reading articles regarding SDR I came across discussions about TX IMD and pre-distortion software that would provide improvements with transmission purity in mind. I am not indicating there is any issues at all with the Flex 6000 series; I just read about a new feature within SDR. Could someone please explain what this is? It sounds very interesting. I would assume with the processing inside of the Flex 6000 and with it's horsepower that the response time to eliminate transmission distortion would be very fast. Thanks, Joe WD5Y

Answers

• Keith - AE5XN
    Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Joe, It's essentially measuring the transmitter's harmonics and then generating tones equal in magnitude and frequency to those harmonics, but at 180 degrees out-of-phase with the harmonics. The idea is to try to use DSP techniques to cancel out the transmitter's harmonics. That's the theory, anyway. In practice, there are other non-linearities and IMD products in a 100W 13.8V PA that would somewhat hamper complete cancellation, and may actually create other spurs. So, you'll get some improvement, but it won't be 100% cancellation by any means. Keith - AE5XN
  • Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Keith for the explanation. I've been reading this with curiosity. It sounds interesting but like everything else for an action there is a reaction and it may or may not be a good one. Thanks and 73's Joe
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Joe, thank you for nice topic. Keith, sure, no doubts, 100% compensation of the distortions impossible, but already exist exmaple with good theory realisation and i wonna to see it also in my best F6700. Can you look completely at: http://www.adat.ch/index_e.html , and strongly recommended read Measurement results (German only, but understandable)- http://www.adat.ch/pub/Parameter_Verifikation_090305.pdf i wonna to adress this question to FRS, as really existing feature.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.