Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CWX out almost a year ?

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
personally, don't really care about keyboard cw generation, but is the memory keyer way way down the list too?

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dan, A basic memory keyer is high on my list also. Even just a few (5?) programmable buttons on the screen would be welcome. Incrementing number for contesting, and other features could be later. Regards, Al
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    yes, and a "cq dx" loop on a marginal band is sure handy...
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    CWX is the memory keyer. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ray, Thanks for the clarification. I thought there might be a simple/basic memory keying function in the SmartSDR client screen coming sooner. For CW guys that is a major feature we all use a lot. Even if it was just 3-5 buttons that could be loaded and clicked. Any chance of getting something like that earlier than V1.3 in July of 2014? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Al, I agree -- I am missing the memory keyer also. That is why I am still primarily using my FLEX-5000 for CW. As to whether there is a chance of getting anything sooner, that is a question for Flex -- I am not an employee, just a happy user. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ray, I could go to an external keyer but would rather not have to add more stuff. I guess I just got used to all of my modern rigs having a good internal keyer with at least the basic memory features. Maybe there will be something that works for us in the next DDUtil release if we can't get anything sooner in SmartSDR. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    makes me wonder, are there so few guys who still use CW now, that FRS can push this so far down the list ??
  • Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    Roger Rockwell/na4rr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    To say that I am a poor cw op is being generous. I blame it on an accident that really messed up my right hand. With even a basic memory keyer I can actually operate some. So I sure vote to move it up. Roger
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    roger, i don't have any excuses...my sending is terrible above 30 ( 25? ) wpm...I have a pico Keyer in the junkbox someplace that i used with my FT-107...hard to believe i need to drag it out, with a $4k radio... 73
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ray, ' duuuhhh ??' I was just going by the 'translation table' in the roadmap.. 73
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    I vote that SmartSDR incorporates PowerSDR CWX features. My authorities kicks in some time when I an working a CW Contest and my fingers wont bend. It was so easy to just click the mouse on a CWX Button and sent the short CW text.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    My arthritis is very bad in my right hand. Even typing (and I'm a touch typist) gets angry after just a few minutes of cw. As I'm a DXer/Contester, I don't have to hit the paddles often. But I need a keyer to work, as both Programs I use employ the keyer to send the canned messages. Well I can listen at least. This is the reason I didn't sell the 5K. I expected their would be a glitch like this. But I do have solid connection to DXL programs now.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Bill, Agree that a year is a long time to wait for a pretty basic function. I guess not too many other CW OPs are concerned since the topic has only 5 LIKEs. Or it could be others are either using external keyers or contest programs to do the keying. I would prefer to use the internal keyer instead of adding an external keyer. Maybe if enough others click the "plus one" button it will move up in the priority list. I'm also still seeing an issue with what looks like the keyer adding a space occasionally but that is another topic. So finding issues is another reason to keep using the internal keyer. http://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dots_are_good_extra_space_on_cw Maybe they will consider the "keyer memory lite" option as an interim solution if there is enough interest. . Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Al, I am also disappointed there are only 5 'likes' to move this up the priority list. Thanks for resurrecting this thread 73, w5xz, dan
  • W4EG
    W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    I agree with your suggestion. However, 5 is not enough; how about 10. So they can be set up for contest and rag chewing. :)
  • W4EG
    W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Just read the threat and I am #6... However, I really do not care how long it takes to get it. As long as we get it! There are more pressing issues that should be taken care first. No excuses for having arthritis, phlebitis broken hand etc... to blame for a bad fist.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Use cw about 90% here. Looks like will be with the 5000 for a while. There are many issues for cw, dx, and contesting. Please don't forget averaging that noisy trace too.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm not sure why my Winkeyer will not key the 6.5K It works perfectly with my 5K. Can there be something different in the wiring of the plug for the two rigs? I can hear the sidetone from the winkeyer, but no keying the rig. As I said, it works perfectly with the 5K. I cw contest almost every weekend, for whatever hours I can. Sure seems odd I can't even KEY the 6.5K with a WinKeyer.
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited September 2013
    Bill, Did you turn off Iambic? -Tim
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    on/off no difference Tim It will key the rig in IAMBIC, but it's gibberish. 1. I can barely send normal with paddles. 2. turn off IAMBIC and it won't key BREAKIN AND IAMBIC enabled, keys the rig but gibberish just IAMBIC ENABLED, keys the rig but gibberish neither BREAKIN AND IAMBIC enabled, nada. nothing. I hear the sound from the keyer, but no keying, no cw going out.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bill, It sounds like you may have the keyer wired to the SLEEVE (or DASH) of the jack. This would produce jibberish when iambic is enabled and Nothing when it is disabled. The keyer should be wired to the TIP (or DOT) and the iambic button should be disabled. Hope this is it and help. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I asked that question. If the plug is different from the 5K. No one replied so I assumed they were the same. As it works perfectly with the 5K Unplug from 5K and plug into 6K and gibberish. I'll check that Well I'll be ****. It was indeed wired wrong. But why did it work perfectly with the 5K? Used a different cable, with it's stock plug, and it worked. As I had such success with the setup and the 5K, I never thought there would be a wire problem with the 6K. Go figure. Owe you a ****. Now to stop Cat from wanting to use this com port for rig control that it creates...
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bill, if you've been using another virtual port manager and DDUTIL, you can continue to use the same virtual ports you created before. With DDUTIL vs. 3 you can switch between the 6000 and "legacy", the 5000. You can remove SmartCat if you have already created adequate ports. It *sometimes* has issues, gobbling CPU time, if there is a conflict with DDUTIL or another port manager.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Oh, I didn't know that. I thought you had to use 'Not So SmartCat' Not sure how to disable it though. Or do you mean uninstall it.? As on my machine it always starts and unless I select the 6K it shuts down.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Vs. 12 seemed to need it to be started before SmartSDR would make the radio work. After 13 came along SSDR would work without it. I think I uninstalled it using control panel > programs and features. I used process explorer to verify that it was no longer starting. You can always put it back in if there seems to be a problem. If you already have a working virtual port manager, you shouldn't need it. It became an issue with me because I noticed heavy CPU usage when running the 5000 (it has a "cpu meter"). It and ddutil were using about 100x more than normal- 15% each rather than 0.15% each. Removing SmartCat removed the likely conflict and ddutil usage returned to normal.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I can't seem to communicate between the 6K and my software reliably. Smart cat is necessary for me with the latest version of SMSDR. At least the way my system is installed. Not so smartcat INSISTS that I use the com ports it installed to communicate with my logging software, which is DXLabs. I MUST use com 21<>31 which it created. I can change it to com 5 (which is the correct port) but **** SmartCat changes it back. The big problem is that the pair it created 21<>31 uses numbers too big for most software, Logging and contest software do NOT accept com ports higher than 8 and don't accept VIRTUAL com ports. at least my software doesn't
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited September 2013
    Bill, Is the COM5 your refer to a FlexRadio virtual port or a port from another virtual port manager? BobT
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    What ****? I see your a Mel Brooks fan. LOL To answer your question Com 5 is a VSPmanager (by K5FR, Steve Nance) I've been using it ever since he created it back a few years. The Virtural pair of com 5<>com 19 Funny thing is that I can see these new virtual com ports that SmartCat created in VSPmanager I tried deleting them using the VSPManager delete option but It didn't delete.
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited September 2013
    This probably should be a separate thread but... You need to uninstall VSPManager and use the FlexRadio ports. After you uninstall VSPManager, open SmartSDR CAT and click the "Delete all Virtual Ports" button, close CAT, and then reopen it. CAT will start fresh with the lowest port pair available on your system. You can then add ports as needed. Just to reiterate, "Dedicated" port always have one end tied to CAT, "Shared" ports are just virtual pairs that you can use with apps like DDUtil, and "PTT" ports are just that. Drop me a personal email if you still have problems. BobT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.