Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 AM Sensitivity below 1.6MHz @ 3KHz BW

shawje
shawje Member ✭✭
I am looking to purchase the 6700. I currently use a WinRadio G313 for BCB DXing. I'd like to replace it when I get the flex. What is the Flex 6700 AM sensitivity in the freq range below 1.6 MHz @ 3KHz BW? Thanx! Jim Shaw, AL7BA

Answers

• Army Curtis
    Army Curtis Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    I use my 6700 a lot on the AM BCB, and find it does an outstanding job there. I have not seen any issues with images; the selectivity is incredible; and the panadapter totally spoils you. You specifically ask about sensitivity @ 3KHz BW; I normally use AM and BW greater than 6 KHz. If desired, you can use either USB or LSB with BW 2.9 KHz or less to mitigate selective sideband fading. Not sure if really answers your query. Is there some more specific concern I can try to answer? 73 Army AE5P
  • shawje
    shawje Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanx for the quick reply, Army. What I was looking for was something like the following for the FT-3000 from a review in QST: AM sensitivity: 6 kHz bandwidth, 10 dB S+N/N: 0.5-1.8 MHz (preamp off), 28 μV I'd like to know what the "number" is for the 6700. I'm hoping it'll be better than 28 microvolts, e.g., it's 1.1 microvolts for .5-1.5 MHz freq range in the WinRadio G-313 @ AM, AMS (30% modulation) and 0.4 microvolts @ AM, AMS (80% modulation). 73, Jim AL7BA
  • Army Curtis
    Army Curtis Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Hi Jim. As you know, the current software/firmware for the 6700 is preliminary/preview, so such specifications would be premature. I can tell you however that in using the 6700 on the AM BCB, sensitivity is not an issue with me at all. I am located in a rural area about 200 miles SE of Dallas and 160 miles N of Houston, with only 1 local AM station, yet the band is full of signals during the day, allowing me to easily listen to stations from Dallas/Houston/Shreveport and many of the small market stations as well. I use a Pixel loop antenna for low noise on these frequencies, and my noise floor is below -120 dBm. So, how does this equate to a WinRadio G-313? Have not the faintest idea. But I can say I am extremely happy with the performance of the 6700 on these frequencies, and we haven't even touched on the ham band performance.
  • shawje
    shawje Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As far as the WinRadio, the 1.1 microvolts equates to about -106dBm, so it appears I could sell the WinRadio and do LW/MF DXing with the Flex. I'd still like to see what the official figures are in these freq ranges. I'm also looking at the Pixel and have been for a couple of years......................
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The FLEX-6000 series has the same sensitivity on MW as it does on the higher bands. With the preamp off, this is a -122 dBm MDS in 500 Hz. You can do the math to convert that to other bandwidths. You can also use the 20 dB preamp on MW if you have a low gain antenna. I have not measured the preamp on MW, but it will probably reducte the noise figure down there by as much as 15 db. With something like a Pixel loop, you will get great MW reception without the preamp.
  • shawje
    shawje Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanx, Gerald, for the info. What about for dxing the NDBs in the LW portion, still the same MDS?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.