Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How will SmartSDR updates be tested after V1.0?

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
How will SmartSDR updates be tested after V1.0? Once V1.0 is released, will the point releases (e.g. 1.1.x, 1.2.x, etc) continue to follow the current process? In other words will the "preview group" still be able to get the point releases for testing in October, November, and December before V1.1 is officially released around the January 2014 time frame? The thread below regarding the "keyer hiccup" bug is the impetus for the question. It sounds like there is a possibility that the keyer fix may not make it into V1.0. (I think it would be better to delay V1.0 for the keyer fix but that is for another discussion). However it wouldn't be as bad if we can continue to test the V1.x point releases and get the keyer fix before January 2014. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Answers

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Subject to change, here is our current thinking:
    1. We will continue to maintain a testing group that helps us to test Alpha code just as we have done with all our software.
    2. We will terminate the preview program with the launch of V1.0 (there's no preview software at this point)
    3. We will institute a public Beta program
    So the process will work like this:
    1. We will create a release and test it internally. Issues we find in internal testing will either:
      a) be fixed and a re-release cut,
      b) be mentioned in the release notes,
      c) be so severe that we skip the release and do not send it to the field.
    2. Next, the release would go to the Alpha team with the same set of rules/procedures.
    3. If the release passes muster with the Alpha group, it is released to a public Beta with release notes explaining any issues that still exist. Taking Beta code will be at your discretion (public Beta), and we will continue this as long as it works for you and us. We have had issues in the past where we explicitly name issues in the release notes, they are not read and then we receive angry calls about issues ... but these are few, typically.
    4. Official releases (like 1.0, 1.1, etc), will be made on the schedule posted in the SmartSDR Roadmap. and will represent code that has been tested internally and externally through the Alpha and Beta programs first.
      1. Steve
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve, Sounds good, that is what I was hoping you would say. So the "public beta" group is similar in function to the "preview group" in that scenario. Thanks and Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    One other note. It is my understanding that the keyer fix is already in the code so that it will be IN v1.0. Eric was just saying that you may or may not get play with that fix in a Preview version BEFORE 1.0 hits.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    Yes. And I expect those groups will have a lot of overlap since the groups are both about testing early software. Steve
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Love it! I'm glad we will be able to participate in the subtle advances between major roadmap releases. Thanks Steve.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As long as there is a way to revert to the previous "stable" release after testing a "beta" release, I would love to take advantage of the public beta program, post v. 1.0. By "public beta" do you mean that anyone and everyone who cares to try it can, at their own risk, knowing that it is a "beta" and not stable release?
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    Ken, yes we implemented the capability to go back in 0.13 and yes anyone who wants to try the beta software will be free to do so, provided they have a license at that time. This is irrelevant for at least the next year, but when we do implement the licensing mechanism, you'll just have to be current to use the new software.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    So, does this mean we will not see another preview version before V1.0 at the end of September? Dennis, k0eoo
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    I clarified my comment toward the end of the original topic here: http://gsfn.us/t/46vxg.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    That depends entirely on the outcome of the first two steps in the "the process works like this..." discussion above. Steve

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.