Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

LCW and UCW, not just CW. Band Pass picture is incorrect

mike_w1bfn
mike_w1bfn Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
The bandpass sketch has a small line at the tuned frequency, inferring that it is symmetrical around that frequency. which is not true. While this does not affect operation on ssb (there are + and - signs to guide you, to where you want to be, either all above the frequency, or all below the frequency. Upper or lower sideband. However, on CW, the bandpass really has been placed symmetrical around the the tuned frequency, instead of around the desired frequency, which is above or below that frequency by the preset "tone freq." In other words, at 400 Hz selectivity, it should not be +/- 200 Hz, but properly be +400 / +800 Hz or -400 / -800 Hz, depending upon whether you want to listen to the upper or lower sideband. This assumes you have selected 600Hz tone freq.. This is why increasing selectivity does not work. The filter is probably working fine, but at the wrong frequency. And this is why the receiver needs UCW and LCW. Tim: lets get together . I'm less than an hour away.

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mike, This isn't the cause of filter selectivity in the 0.13.10 - the number of taps in the DSP filter are the known reason for this and are being increased. The filter is correctly symmetric about the indicated frequency. Stu K6TU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Stu, Do you know if they are considering an adjustable parameter to adjust the sharpness of the filter skirts, especially on CW? There are times I want a sharp filter and other times I would settle for a little less with less ringing.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Sorry I don't... Tim - is there a US on this? Stu
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The filters in the FLEX-6000 are finite impulse response filters which do not ring. We have dramatically increased the sharpness of the filters recently (0.14.x as I recall). We have discussed making the skirt steepness selectable, but again ringing would not be a side effect with FIR filters. The key side effect of a sharper filter is increased latency. Filter latency in 0.14.x is about 43ms. CW works a little different in SmartSDR than in PowerSDR. In PowerSDR, we placed the carrier indicator where the CW signal would be IF the tone frequency was 0Hz. Since it never is, you see the signal of interest at ~600Hz or whatever tone frequency you selected. This makes the actual carrier indicator, which is a red line, misleading. So in SmartSDR, the carrier line is where you will transmit and where you will hear the other station. The sides of the filter show how far away from the desired signal your skirts are. But, you hear everything offset by your selected CW pitch so if you select 600Hz, everything on the red line is at 600Hz audio frequency. Steve
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, Steve. That is good news. I can't wait to hear the new filters. Re: the offset tones, it really makes no difference whether you are USB or LSB, except if you are using a wide filter and trying to do cross-mode with a station on SSB, or using a Digi CW program that expects the shift in tone to follow one standard direction or the other. Then it would make a big difference. I think that may be why some have asked for a CWU & CWL option, so the Digi programs don't get **** up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.