Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

NTP server for GPSDO-equipped 6000 series

Keith - AE5XN
Keith - AE5XN Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in New Ideas
I have separated this idea topic out from another one for better visibility, per Steve Hick's suggestion. The idea is to have an ntp (network time protocol) server running on the application processor of the 6000 series radios, when equipped with the GPSDO option, to allow clients (PC's, tablets, Macs, etc.) to sync their clocks to the GPS time. This might come in handy for portable/remote operations without internet access. I personally would consider this addition very low priority, but feel free to vote if you like the idea. Keith - AE5XN
13 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited April 2016
    I would use it if it were there but pu it at the back of the line! Jim - W4YXU
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I agree, low priority. Could be placed in a configuration along with capability for fixed IP (eventually). Specify time source: PC, NTP (select server), GPS. Default to GPS if installed else PC.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Nice idea. I would definitely use this as a time source for my networks at home. Would actually be enough reason for my to buy the GPS module as I leave the 6500 on all the time anyway.
  • Bill Heinzinger
    edited August 2013
    could the time server work to sync computer clock for the JT type programs that rely on such precise time events? Presently I connect to U of Illinois time server via inet. Could I connect to the Flex6.5 GPS device instead? Would it be accurate enough for JT modes?
  • KD3VK Ken
    KD3VK Ken Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

My brain is in a knot trying to follow all the threads centered around this topic. This one doesn't seem to be the most recently updated, but is the most germane to my opinion on the subject. I believe Steve did say in one of the posts to break this out as a separate topic, like this one, and show the interest by votes. I voted in all of the topics I could find but they all seem to wander off into different discussions, and therefore I don't see how one could draw any conclusions that this topic is important. So I'll try to reinvigorate this discussion here.

With all the popularity building around the JT digital modes, and the need for accurate PC clock, I am still unclear why we don't have this as a high priority feature to capture the flex GPO time signal to update a connected PC. Even if it is only implemented as a "as needed/on-demand" option. By that I mean it might only be invoked once each time I press a button or choose an option, and thereby not create a lot of demand on the radio keeping it updated frequently.

I would really like to see my $600 Flex6700 option capture GPS time and serve me better by also updating and keeping my PC clock accurate, and not just my radio. I need this so I can operate in a remote location where an internet connection and network NTP service is not available.  From my point of view, everything's there except the integration/linking software.

Maybe I've missed one of the posts saying this is already available, or another solution has presented itself.  (Hopefully one that doesn't require more hardware or a kludge.) Someone please enlighten me.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ken, I started a post on this subject a couple weeks ago...
    here is the link.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/link-windows-with-radio-gps-time

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.