Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

At some point in the future, will there be a saved memory storage/recall?

Dave-N9CHM
Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Before I can answer properly, I need to ask a question. And that is "what constitutes a "memory""?
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Just frequency memories like other radios I've had. This can get real complicated, real fast when we start talking about persistence, but I'm just talking about the basic frequency and mode, so you can store a favorite spot(s) on a band, or store shortwave freqs that you like to listen to. Not critical, but storing freq memories seems to be common on non-SDR radios for many years. 73, Dave
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    How would you propose that the remembered frequency gets assigned to which slice?
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I see this sort of thing working in the same way a browser does. The ability to set a home frequency per band. And then a favorites selection on each panadapter. Then having the ability to set multiple "home pages" per panadapter which would be frequencies (slices) - then SmartSDR could open the pre-requisite amount of slices and panadapters on startup and open those "home pages" you have selected for each and you are ready to go. You would have to give the option of which panadapter to open each slice on of course. With the favorite list you could have a "pin" option on each favorite to have that frequency become the startup slice when the panadapter is opened. And a ABCD... option for which panadapter to open it on. Thats just my thinking.... making it browser like will help it be more intuitive to a lot of people too. And as a little extra - if the software could also do a quick scan of each frequency to see which ones are dead (no activity) or hot (in use) and color code appropriately in the favorite list that would make it real nice!
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My guess would be to "pin" the stored freq to the primary A slice on each band, or to the primary slice opened in each panadapter. The above description is a little more complicated that what I was thinking about, just using my KISS principle, but the above would certainly be nice, if it's feasible.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I agree, KISS is good in the short term, but if the extra functionality can be added in future releases without modifying the KISS routine, then all would be good. I love to have FLEXibility. :-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This could be done in several ways: 1) Simple and basic - call up a scrollable list of favorite frequencies which also store mode, filter, bandwidth, AGC-T, and transmit offset. These would be loaded to the current active slice when selected. 2) More Complex - similar to the above, but with a selectable parameter that allows designating which slice/panadapter to call up with the frequency. 3) A Little More Complex - Add the ability for one "memory" to set two or more slices for wider splits, cross band, cross mode, etc. 4) Very Complex - upon selection, the "memory" takes control of the whole screen and sets a preset number of panadapters, slices, and designates which slice is active and which is TX, etc... one click for the whole deal. 5) Extremely Complex - use your imagination...the sky's the limit, Perhaps allowing each "memory" in the list to be programmed in any one of the above ways. Some memory channels would be simple frequency & mode changes to the active slice, and other "memories" would implement a complete change of the operating desktop. Yet a third would set up a couple of slices for a DX split operation....etc. I would like to see the #1-simple and basic format as soon as it can be woven into an appropriate place on the roadmap. It could be a panel like the TX panel that scrolls and allows a "memory" channel to be highlighted and activated instantly, without closing the panel. Then I could simply "click" my way down a list of memory channels (or even scan them) to see what is happening on my favorite frequencies. The selection could be done with mouse clicks within the panel, "wheel" scrolling when the mouse is in the panel, with up/down click buttons on the panel, or by a button on the FlexControl. The scrolling window could be a panel, as mentioned above, or it could open a separate relocatable window that could become a simple "memory mode operation station." This could have advantages for remote operations... I better quit or my head will start hurting! Just a few thoughts and dreams... (I live for this kind of brainstorming. I guess If I could make a good living just picking my brain, I might do that! ha ha.)
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I would like to see the memories implemented like bookmarks in Google Chrome. This would save the receiver slice information including frequency, mode, antenna settings and audio levels. The user clicks on an empty star then is prompted to name the slice and choose a folder. I would have a folder for digital modes with slice bookmarks for VOA Radiograms, EasyPal, PSK, and other regular ARES digital nets. I would have a separate folder with slice bookmarks for voice or CW nets.
  • Robin Haighton
    edited October 2016
    I am not sure of the correct terminology but, where we select Band Antenna, etc I woudl like to be able to select" Memory and either Add a memory or retrieve a memory in a manner similar to PSDR such memories could be selected for any panadapter or slice receiver Robin VE3FRH
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    DXLab's Commander can save at least 10 different frequency / mode combo's, right now. ( probably more...) I find it VERY handy...73
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Yes, we will have memories in SmartSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.