Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What is wrong - before turning it on

Howard Z
Howard Z Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I haven't even turned on the Flex 6500 - I need to go pay for cables first. Here is a short list of disappointments: 1. Connections have changed. One great thing about other manufacturers, ICOM for example, is I can buy a new ICOM radio, and move every pluged in item from the old radio to the new radio. On a rare occasion when a plug/outlet has changed, ICOM provides or at least sells as an optional converter plug: 1a: I can not connect my 10 Mhz GPS clock, because the plug has changed from BNC on the flex 5000 to RCA on the flex 6500. 1b. I can not connect my TNC because the flex accessory port has a different connector. I don't even know where to buy a MALE connector for it. So, you may find a better way, a better connector, or some connector which saves you money. But, you should include a one dollar adapter with an expensive radio like this. Or at least, it should be an option during purchase. 2. Your ethernet cable is too short for my needs. Again, when purchasing the radio this should be an option. 3. I suppose it is nice that the Flex radio power connector is Anderson Power Poles, but the included cable should have been Anderson power poles on both ends. If I connect the provided power cable to my power supply, then my entire rig runner power bar will be without power. Not hard to remedy, but if you are catering to all of us who use Anderson Power Poles, then we naturally are using a Rig Runner power bar. 4. I received a phone call from Flex that the radio will be shipping soon, but never received any EMAIL with tracking number identifying the package as coming from Flex Radio. I was on vacation when it arrived, and would have taken some more care to make sure it was taken care of - if I had an email from flex radio saying it is shpping, tracking number, and estimated date of arrival. I had many low cost (under $100) items arrive that week. If the email doesn't say the package is from Flex Radio, I don't know the Flex Radio is coming. 5. The quick start guide mentions a CD with SmartSDR software, but no CD was included. Fortunately I went back to the saved emails from Flex Radio and found the link to download SmartSDR. I think it would be better if this was more clear. 6. I provided a copy of my MARS license to Flex Radio, but received a response that I have to jump through hoops with customer service AFTER I receive the radio. So, in summary, I need to go to a store or mail order additional items before I can use my radio. And since 99% of my radio use is MARS, I have more phone calls and steps to perform before I will be able to actually use it. None of these items are major problems, but could have made my initial experience better. So, today I am going to drive to the RF Connection, to see if they can modify the flex power cable and sell me an adapter for the GPS clock. Odds are they will be too busy to do any work while I wait, and will require another trip in a few days. I found a longer ethernet cable in the house I can use - hope it is up to whatever specs Flex recommends. Flex Radio can make this more pleasant experience for the next purchaser. Regards, Howard

Answers

• Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I guess most of us are a little more pro-active. I already had a DC patch cable with Anderson PP connectors made up and BNC-RCA adaptors-longer Ethenet cable(just in case)-Heil/Yaesu adaptor patch cord all ordered/received, and the 13.10 software downloaded/installed several days before my FLEX 6500 arrived. Trust me, it gets better. Even with the Beta software and limited functions this is one amazing radio! This is my 1st SDR after 30+ years of Drake-TenTec-Icom-Ken-Yae. Couldn't be happier or more excited :) 73, Dave
  • VA7LWE
    VA7LWE Member
    edited August 2013
    Cables/connectors are always a tricky thing. I guess I understand the 'displacement' effect when a particular manufacturer changes things on a new model and therefore a new purchase doesn't slot right in to replace something older. The apparent inability of industries as a whole to coordinate around standards for common connectivity requirements is a pet peeve of mine. We are seeing some movement due to some regulatory activity (e.g. the EU forcing micro USB for charging small devices). On the whole I would commend Flex Radio for the choices they've made on the 6x00. They seem appropriate, modern and general. I have no other Anderson Power Pole in the shack, but I like that this is much easier to use than the several kinds of nylon connector on my Icom rigs... and of course they include a power cable anyway. It actually pains me to see equipment with, for example: RS232 interfaces, analogue video (e.g. VGA), proprietary CAT interfaces etc. These have lasted way past their sell-by-date IMO, but thankfully a product like the 6x00 is authentically digital on the control/consumption side.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Once you get your cables sorted I think life will be much better! I'm rather glad the Flex-6x00 series moved forward to set new standards for connectivity. It was actually a nice gesture that basic cables were included. I was smidge more prepared for my radio to arrive, having assumed that no cables would be included (mine is #11, so information was a bit more scarce then) and had bought/fabricated the cables I expected I would need in advance. Agree with other replies that it is great that proprietary interfaces were avoided! Do appreciate that! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Howard: I'm sorry that you've had a less than desirable Out-of-Box experience. Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed post. I appreciate all feedback and especially ones with details. I've tried to answer as many of your issues as I can below: Look for the >> next to my responses. ******************************************************************************************************** I haven't even turned on the Flex 6500 - I need to go pay for cables first. Here is a short list of disappointments: 1. Connections have changed. One great thing about other manufacturers, ICOM for example, is I can buy a new ICOM radio, and move every pluged in item from the old radio to the new radio. On a rare occasion when a plug/outlet has changed, ICOM provides or at least sells as an optional converter plug: >> This is a brand new architecture and radio implementation. When possible, we attempted to maintain compatibility with the existing FLEX-Series but there were situations where space constraints made that impossible. 1a: I can not connect my 10 Mhz GPS clock, because the plug has changed from BNC on the flex 5000 to RCA on the flex 6500. >> This is one of the connections as mentioned in Item #1, If you have trouble finding adapters, a good source is Mouser Electronics: Part # 601-27-8110 http://www.mouser.com 1b. I can not connect my TNC because the flex accessory port has a different connector. I don't even know where to buy a MALE connector for it. >> We expanded the capabilities of the FLEX-Wire accessory interface in response to feedback from our customers asking for additional features. That drove a connector with more pins. The DB-15HD connector is a widely used interface for VGA etc. Mouser Part # connector: 636-180-015-103L001, housing: 636-970-009-010R011 So, you may find a better way, a better connector, or some connector which saves you money. But, you should include a one dollar adapter with an expensive radio like this. Or at least, it should be an option during purchase. >> In general regarding bare connectors and adapters, we really struggled over this. We asked quite a few folks about just throwing the connectors in the box and we were surprised to hear that most folks felt like that IF the connector ever made it out of the box, it would end up in a junk drawer, never to be found when it was really needed for a special interface project. If we got this wrong, I'd like to hear from others. 2. Your Ethernet cable is too short for my needs. Again, when purchasing the radio this should be an option. >> Howard, this a tough one for us to win. The 2m CAT6 Ethernet cable is far and away the most popular cable and that felt like the right length for us. For some it will be to long - for you it was too short. Please note we selecting a cable, you should purchase a high quality CAT5e or better NON-SHIELDED UTP Ethernet cable. The specification allows for up to 100m. If we get more feedback about the length, we can look into offering optional cables. 3. I suppose it is nice that the Flex radio power connector is Anderson Power Poles, but the included cable should have been Anderson power poles on both ends. If I connect the provided power cable to my power supply, then my entire rig runner power bar will be without power. Not hard to remedy, but if you are catering to all of us who use Anderson Power Poles, then we naturally are using a Rig Runner power bar. >> We selected the DC cable that was included with your radio for maximum flexibility for all shacks. In the US, PowerPole style cables have become very popular but some countries have not yet jumped on the PowerPole bandwagon. The selected cable will attach directly to your high current supply or be easily modified to add PowerPoles to the other end for the folks that have embraced this new standard. I will look into the possibility of offering a PowerPole - PowerPole DC cable. 4. I received a phone call from Flex that the radio will be shipping soon, but never received any EMAIL with tracking number identifying the package as coming from Flex Radio. I was on vacation when it arrived, and would have taken some more care to make sure it was taken care of - if I had an email from flex radio saying it is shpping, tracking number, and estimated date of arrival. I had many low cost (under $100) items arrive that week. If the email doesn't say the package is from Flex Radio, I don't know the Flex Radio is coming. >> Howard, I've checked and our records show that your invoice including the UPS tracking number was sent 8/16/13 to your email address on file. You may want to check your spam folder. 5. The quick start guide mentions a CD with SmartSDR software, but no CD was included. Fortunately I went back to the saved emails from Flex Radio and found the link to download SmartSDR. I think it would be better if this was more clear. >> This issue is ongoing during the PREVIEW project. The releases have changed faster than we can have bulk CDs published. The email you mentioned with the download link was our attempt to make this more clear and less painful. Sorry that didn't work for you. We have purchased a system for duplicating CDs in-house so we will be shipping CDs with every radio starting with SmarSDR v1.0. 6. I provided a copy of my MARS license to Flex Radio, but received a response that I have to jump through hoops with customer service AFTER I receive the radio. >> I'm sorry you found this process cumbersome. The MARS unlock facility is part of the "Internationalization" code the engineering team has just completed. Until now it's been a very manual process. The reason we asked you to open a HELPDESK ticket was so we could track your request to completion without losing track. I've checked to make sure your request is active and in process. So, in summary, I need to go to a store or mail order additional items before I can use my radio. And since 99% of my radio use is MARS, I have more phone calls and steps to perform before I will be able to actually use it. None of these items are major problems, but could have made my initial experience better. So, today I am going to drive to the RF Connection, to see if they can modify the flex power cable and sell me an adapter for the GPS clock. Odds are they will be too busy to do any work while I wait, and will require another trip in a few days. I found a longer ethernet cable in the house I can use - hope it is up to whatever specs Flex recommends. Flex Radio can make this more pleasant experience for the next purchaser. Regards, Howard ***************************************************************************************************** >> Howard, again I'm sorry you haven't had the startup experience you were looking for. We will take your feedback and see how we can make it better for others. 73, Greg - K5GJ VP - Sales and Marketing
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Seriously? Did the radio come so quickly after you ordered it that a trip to Radio Shack was out of the question? The barrage of user groups and messages - including pictures and pinouts - was somehow missed? I apologize for the snark, but come on now. In the time it took to compose that message, you could have made new cables. Don't mean to pick on you specifically, Howard, but seeing this kind of message is getting a little tedious.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agreed. I just wish they had settled upon the Kenwood mike standard instead of the Yaesu! Because I have been a Kenwood man for 20 years. Of course it doesn't really matter because I am using the XLR/TRS Connector and PTT jack on the rear. (Thanks for the dual use connector, by the way!) One small "miss" was that there is no keyer jack on the rear. Then I would have a clean front panel with no wires at all.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you for the information, Greg. Here are just a couple of comments. RE: The missed email. Can you send them out with tracking reports to check if the have been received or opened? Then your email software can flag those who apparently missed it due to misdirection to the spam file, or failure of the email client/server. Connectors: When I received my 1500 I was glad that you included a BNC/UHF adapter. I already had two of them, but they were being used for other purposes. Yes, I could have gone to "rat shack" for another, but t was nice that I didn't need to when my Christmas present arrived and I wanted to play. It was a small thing, but made a positive impression For the 6500, it would have made an equally nice impression to have the more difficult to find connectors included, especially given the quality and price of the purchase. The 15 pin connector especially is not as easy/quick to find as other connectors. That one at a minimum would have been nice. Would I use it? I don't know at this point. I plan to wait for DAX before operating digital (I still have my 1500!) and I don't yet own amplifiers and other equipment that use it. But these things I keep in the original boxes for large purchases so that they don't end up lost in the junk drawer. Power Pole: I was very glad to see this standard adopted, as I have shifted all of my shack to this standard. It is impossible to match everyone's needs with one cable. If I want to put a power pole on the other end, I have connectors and a crimper and it would be a fast job to change it. An alternative would be to include a double power pole cable with a short jumper with terminal ends. This would be a good compromise. and a nice touch. Perhaps even with fuses in the cable. In any case, these comments are just a "this would have been nice" information. But I was glad to have the power cable and ethernet cable included. You deliver a great product and I am not disappointed. Thanks a lot Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.