Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 front mike recepticle

The front panel microphone recepticle threads do not mate with the supplied hand mike. It appears that the recepticle threads are a bit rough. I can plug the mike in. However it will not **** on to the recpeticle. Not wanting to be picky and do not want to change out. I just wanted to point it out in case you got a batch of recepticles with rough threads. 3313-0588-6500-2526

Comments

• WB5CCO
    WB5CCO Member
    edited February 2016
    An important point to remember is to make sure the indexing tab/slot on the microphone's Foster connector is at the 6 o'clock position when inserting into the jack on radio. It is possible, in some instances, to insert the Foster connector incorrectly. 73, WB5CCO, Richard
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited August 2013
    I had the same problem with the mic connector, and the mic at first had a intermittent problem due to poor mating, the connector problem I resolved by pushing the connector to the right a little then the threads final mated to the radios connector, you are right the threads are very rough.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had the same issue but in my case I didn't have the key in the 6 o'clock position. It works great when I realized I was keying it wrong, hi, hi.... 73, Dennis, k0eoo
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Let me make a guess here - you have a Heil mic, yes? This issue is not exclusive to FlexRadio. The connectors Heil uses are a little small and can easily be inserted in such a way that the key tab and slot on the connector do not match, allowing the connector to be inserted improperly. This happens on my Icom radios too.
  • Robert Watson
    Robert Watson Member
    edited March 2017
    Tim, and others, I am referring to the Flex supplied hand mike. When the mike connector is properly keyed, it plugs firmly into the 8 pin transceiver receptacle. There is no electrical issue. The mike functions properly. The mechanical threads on the receptacle on my unit are very rough and will not mate with the hand mike connector ring. I have tried all different angles and forward/back threading and no joy. I only mention it because I feel our job as evaluators should not excuse us from overlooking any issues. For me, it is not an issue. I have started using my Heil PR20 into the balanced mike input and it works extremely well. Take it for what its worth. 73, Bob, KN4HH
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Understood. I'll pass it on the the engineering team.
  • Robert Watson
    Robert Watson Member
    edited May 2014
    Tim, the issue is with the first few threads on the radio mounted recepticle. I took a dye and rethreaded just the first few turns and the problem is fixed. I may have gotten that one recepticle that had some bum threads. I just wanted to bring it to your attention. I tried several 8 pin connectors to make sure it was the recepticle. With the rethreading, all connectors thread all the way in. Bob
  • Jan - ON4PAL
    Jan - ON4PAL Member
    edited February 2014
    Using a Heil Headset, I go via a "pigtail". soldering the pigtail I dicovered that the frontpanel can be looked at from two sides. The "Front Panel View"in the quick start guide is seen from the inside of the flex the numbers somwhere in this forum are correct. First day of the 6500 in Belgium Hi Jan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.