Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

REMOTE-ON

Roy W9QM
Roy W9QM Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in New Ideas
REMOTE-ON,This program is not listed on the Road Map, and is a simple program to allow the Flex 6500 to be operated remotely.I had a similar program added to the Flex 5000 and as I work 90% of my operating remotely I hope this will be added to the Road Map as soon as possible
1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Remote-on is on our "list of things to do," but has not been scheduled into a release. If this is something you will use (everyone), please vote for this item which will help us prioritize it. Steve
  • Roy W9QM
    Roy W9QM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My understanding of Steve's response is that a Topic should be listed in Community.Flexradio.com.Then people can vote on whether this is a high priority or lower. I sent in what I thought was a brief request to have REMOTE-ON listed as a topic.I was not asking that the complete software for ewmote operation be included, all I was asking was that the ability to turn the Flex6500/6700 BE ABLE TO TURN THE POWER on lust as the 5000 has this feature.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Is this the DDUtil Remote on? The one that requires a modification to the Radio (5000)?
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    This was my understand as well -- simply turning on the radio from a remote location. Steve
  • Roy W9QM
    Roy W9QM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    No this refers to the connection on the rear panel of the Flex 6500 and a socket is part of the Flex 6500.I believe but plugging in a jack so that a btief contact pulse will turn the power to the radio ON rOY W9QM
  • Roy W9QM
    Roy W9QM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    sTEVE, the request does not require that it be from a remote location.All we are asking for is that the radio will recognize a brief pulse to turn the radio ON No doubt there will be several different ways that Hams will provide a way to generate the pulse, but your engineers need not have to consider those Roy
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Roger roger... Steve
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I see now. I was assuming that this functionality would be available through the network interface - similar to the way you power on a PC using WOL (Wake on Lan).
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    We thought about WOL briefly, but the remote-on seemed simpler. To get WOL to work, you have to rely on the Ethernet PHY to talk to your power controller to fire everything up since the processor is OFF when WOL occurs.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Gotcha.
  • Roy W9QM
    Roy W9QM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    If this simple approach is provided , we can run the 6500 remotely and use a 3rd party sound program such as Skype , until the final software is released as setout in the RoadMap Roy
  • Roy W9QM
    Roy W9QM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Steve, The new v3 of DDUtil included the feature to turn the radion onoff by selecting a rs232 port in the computer that runs SmartSDR. this is the same way we run the Flex 5000. By connecting a relay across the RS232 port, thus providing a pulse to the socket we are talking about Roy
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    The remote on/off now works as of 1.0.24 Beta by using the RCA remote-on connector on the back of the radio. Latch the line to ground and the radio will power up, remove ground and the radio will power down. Note that this is a open-collector input so you will need a pull-up resistor or a source that provides a positive voltage on its own.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.