Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why are **** Slices important?

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I little background, I became a flexer since Monday the 19th of August 2013, Now before you beat me up! I owned Ten Tec Orion II and TS-2000X and IC-756PRO3 and IC-775DSP. I have searched and searched why would locking two slices together be important? I hope someone can enlighten me! Jim WU5E

Answers

• Graham-KE9H
    Graham-KE9H FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Hi Jim: If you want to listen to the same signal on two different antennas, you will want the slices to be locked together on the same frequencies. For what is known as diversity reception. For example, if you have a 160 Meter transmitting antenna, perhaps a tall vertical which transmits well, but is normally noisy on reception, and you also have a low-noise receiving-only antenna, like a Beverage, then you might want to listen on both simultaneously. The better signal is usually on the Beverage, but some of the time, the vertical will be better. You can route the Beverage to your left ear and the vertical to your right ear, and let your brain combine them or pick the best one. And yes, once all the basic radio functionality is delivered, and we have time to do some neat signal processing work, we can write some "optimal combining" software that will coherently combine the two incoming signals for you. --- Graham / KE9H ==
  • Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member
    edited August 2013
    Also, with DSP and what was done on the 2 RX Flex-5000, when the 2 receivers are synchronized they are also locked in phase. The F5K has a control where you can adjust the amplitude and phase between the 2 recievers / antennas to potentially null noise or enhance signals. So, people are asking to have similar capabilities with the F6K. To have 2 antennas for diversity or phase adjustment requires the Flex-6700 with 2 SCU's. Each Slice RX would have to be on a separate Panadapter set to a different Antenna.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Assuming a 6700, what determines which SCU you are using? If I open two slices what determines if the two slices are on separate SCU's or on the same SCU? Don - kx9q
  • Bill - K7UOP
    Bill - K7UOP Member
    edited August 2013
    My understanding is that you have to open a second Panadapter and select a different antenna there. The antenna switching logic hooks up the second SCU. Any Slice RXs created on a particular panadapter use the same antenna. Any other panadapters hooked to the same antenna would use the same SCU. There's no manual selection of SCUs, it's all switched automatically.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.