Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I use an external keyer with SmartSDR?

Arnie
Arnie Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I plugged my keyer into the front panel "key" jack but when I un-click the "IAMBIC" button, I get no keying of the radio. With the "IAMBIC" button clicked, my external keyer does key the radio, but of course that is not usable. Anybody using an external keyer? Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Arnie, What type of plug are you using, mono or stereo? If you are using a stereo plug, check to see if the keyer is activating the TIP (and not the sleeve). Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You need to use a stereo plug going into the radio using only tip and sleeve. I am using a WKUSB, however, I have also used the key directly into the jack and that works as well with Iambic turned on for the key direct.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I ran into a similar situation with my WKUSB.. In my case, it turned out that the logging software I was using has switched to SO2V operation and selected radio 2, which put the key signal on the ring/sleeve instead of the tip/sleeve. Once I switched to radio 1, the key signal was once again on the tip and the CW was fine.. AL, K0VM
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am using the exact plug that worked perfectly with my F3k, F5k etc. I did notice that if I remove the plug from the front panel key jack on the 6500, it immediately goes into transmit and key down. Something is not right and I don't think it is my keyer since it worked fine with the aforementioned rigs. Suggestions? Tnx de Arnie W8DU
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ok...I figured it out. Seems that the F5k wants tip-shield for manual key and the 6500 wants ring-shield. So I made a little adapter jumper to short the tip and ring contacts and voila!
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Still don't know why the rig goes into transmit with key down when there is nothing plugged into the "KEY" jack on the front panel when CW mode is selected. Anyone else notice this?
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited January 2020
    I have been running a Palstar external keyer with Paddle and straight key. It was moved from my FLEX 5K to the new FLEX 6500. Have not had any issues except the FLEX 6500 will not follow the speed of the keyer. Speed adjustment on the keyer and FLEX do not match. If the keyer is sending to fast,the FLEX, will insert a either a long dash/dot into my cw string I am sending.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    If you are using an external keyer then make sure "Iambic" is disabled. With "Iambic" disabled the speed adjustment should not have any affect on the external keyer. I use a WKUSB keyer and paddle without any issues that I am aware of :-)
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    I have the FLEX set up correctly. I have been running a net with speeds between 25 and 30 CWPM. The Flex seems to get erratic at these speeds. The speed control has no effect with IAMBIC Off. Only the delay effects the FLEX. I am attempting to insert another external keyer to see if is the Palstar. Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.