Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will SmartSDR work with com port hardware connected devices?

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have always used DDUtil here to interface PowerSDR with various other programs such as N1MM, various digital programs, and computer com port connected devices, especially my Micro Band Decoder antenna selector, and my 2K-FA amplifier. This setup has worked very well for me. With SmartSDR I am still able to connect with N1MM logger using either the old DDUtil, or the new version 3.0. However, my Micro Band Decoder DOES NOT receive the necessary frequency data through the computer com port, even though I have it selected the same way through DDUtil as it was for PowerSDR. If anyone has made the Micro Band Decoder (or other com port connected device) work with SmartSDR through DDUtil, I'm open to hear how you did it. Dave, W5UN

Answers

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Dave how you manage 2k-fa with SSDR, as far i remember DDUtil has no 2k-fa option ?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Sergey, I don't use DDUtil to control the 2K-FA, I only use CAT frequency information to the amplifier CAT input. Expert Amps has not released the required software interface to the DDUtil developer yet. I hope that gets done soon so that it can be added
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave - How do you have the Macro Band Decoder connected to DDUtil (which port)?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Steve, with DDUtil ver 2.1.3 I had the decoder connected to a computer hdw port (com21 in my case). This is the com port number I placed in RCP1 CAT, and all worked well with PowerSDR and my Flex 5000 notifying my Micro Band Decoder. It does not work with SmartSDR in this configuration. With SmartSDR and DDUtil 3.0 I put the same com port number in RCP1 (same computer, etc.) but no luck. I'm not sure if this place to put it. SmartSDR is talking OK to the virtual port connected programs, like N1MM.
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited August 2013
    Dave, The short answer to your question is "no". SmartSDR CAT does not have the capability to talk to a hardware port directly. You can accomplish this through the use of a port splitter which, I believe, is built-in to DDUtil. BobT
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave - The probable causes can be a couple of things: 1) The decoder is sending Cat commands that are not understood by the new Cat program. 2) The decoder is set to a transceiver that is not being understood. Make sure Kenwood is selected in the decoder setup. You can also try using one the Repeater ports on the Other tab using the Normal setting. If you'll send me an electronic copy of the decoder manual I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure out what might be the problem.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Steve I am still trying to make sense of this. I now find that SmartSDR/6700 using either version of DDUtil with N1MM is not always transferring the frequency info. Sometimes N1MM responds, sometimes it doesn't. The F6000 Tab in DDUtil 3.0 always shows the frequency changes reliably when I change bands or frequency, but this in not being imparted to N1MM on a consistent basis This is happening on any computer I try it on. At times, if I wait a long time after changing the band, N1MM will suddenly get the frequency. This is, however, not always the case. BTW, I use a pair of virtual comports created by vspMgr to talk between N1MM and the radio (through DDUtil, of course). So, until this is solved, I won't even discuss any further the decoder inability to connect. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    OK Steve, N1MM connects reliably with DDUtil ver 2.1, not 3.0, and to connect, I must start DDUtil after SmartSDR and N1MM.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    This problem is solved here. Now have SmartSDR/6700 working reliably with N1MM and external Micro Band Decoder.
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave, please share what the problem was so others can benefit.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It turns out, at least in my case, the way all the programs are started. First, I start SmartSDR, followed bt DDUtil 3.0. followed by N1MM and other virtual port connected programs. My Micro Band decoder is connected through the hardware port being entered in Repeater 1 under the OTHER Tab of DDUtil 3.0, with baud rate of 4800. Using this same setup in DDUtil 2.1 would not work for the decoder. Bottom line - upgrading to DDUtil 3.0 and setting everything correctly solved the problem here Dave, W5UN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.