Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

iPad app

Dale KB5VE
Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Ok not sure where this should go but here we go. I know we are a long way to go on this journey,but in the future will we have a app for the iPad, I phone that will be a thin client to run the flex 6000? I have really rocked doing remote with my 3000 and 5000 using Skype and team viewer, but I want to go to the next level. I hope the iPad app is a reality.
11 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Dr. Howard S White
    edited June 2014
    Me too....but likely several years away before they do an iOS app
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Yes, Ipad/iphone and android apps would all be helpful here.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Did you have something like this in mind? :-) Stu K6TU And these are not screen prints - this is a working app... I'm at the alpha test stage - this app is not a full client for the 6000 series as it doesn't (yet) handle pan-adaptors and there is no streaming audio. I intend this first application to be used as an adjunct with SmartSDR (for the display of pan-adaptors) - everything else can be created and controlled from the iPad via the Ethernet API to the radio. I have room for two or three more folks on the alpha test team - I'm very interested in folks with non-retina versions of the iPad and those with a mini. iOS 6.1 is a requirement also. Not sure how long before I will be ready for a beta - still working on adding more functionality... and giving Charlene (PowerSDR was Betty) a make over. But thought you'd be interested that at least for iOS, its not years away. Stu K6TU PS: BTW - I have NO plans to do an Android version - that's write once and port to every device. Someone else can clean that stable ;-)
  • Dr. Howard S White
    edited May 2020
    I would love to help test iPad versions
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That's a neat start, Stu. I don't have my 6500 yet, nor an ipad. But am waiting one the 6500 and contemplating an ipad. I may contact you when I get both!
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Howard, What iPad do you have? Stu K6TU
  • Dr. Howard S White
    edited June 2014
    iPad 4 - (iPad3 with retinal display)
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I have I PAD 2 would be glad to help test. As you can see I started the post. been remoting with skype and teamviewer for years. I will be glad to help test.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Awesome! I will send you a private email with some information I will need from you. Note it may be the weekend before I have some bits for you. I just moved the app onto real hardware post the shutdown of the Apple developer portal and so have so additional work to do. Stu K6TU
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Ok - last iPad 4 signup then... I will send you a private email with some information I will need from you. See my comments to Dale above... Stu K6TU
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Sounds great i am cleaning the screen to the ipad in anticapation! You should have my email . if not it is dhankins@comcast.net.
  • VA7LWE
    VA7LWE Member
    edited August 2013
    Stu, do you have your software in a repo somewhere online... or at least the SDK and Objective-C bindings? I'd *really* like to have a tinker myself, though probably on the Mac for now.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    I don't plan on making the app available except through the App Store - so the short answer on the repo online is - no. I'm still working on the Objective C model that will be the abstract support for the radio - it currently includes Discovery, Radio and Slice. I have to add additional support and so its a work in progress. How this gets released is also TBD - mostly because the API to the radio *will* change over time and so its important that I get the versioning stuff built in and right. To be clear; I do intend to distribute the model support - likely packaged as a framework once I can figure out how to do that. This is high on my priority list so hang tight - it won't be too long. My current plan is to get the alpha of my app started this weekend - I've committed all the slots I can support right now. I will give a date for the availability in the App Store once I know what I can hit. Stu K6TU
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Very nice. I am looking to create a similar control app for the Windows Phone as soon as I get my grubby hands on the API's (and if I can get my head around the API of course!)
  • VA7LWE
    VA7LWE Member
    edited August 2013
    Very cool. Yeah, I'm really interested in the ObjC bindings so I can build my own stuff on the Mac. I could perhaps start from scratch if I can also get access to the underlying SDK, but it sounds like you've already made a stellar start. It would be great for the community if there was a single Cocoa Framework that could be a de facto standard for all developers/experimenters. So, if the framework source can be available in github or somewhere that would be awesome. Anyway, great to hear you intend to distribute the framework one way or another. I shall keep watching for news!
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I sent email but did not know signup was closed!
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited May 2020
    Wrong thread! Please send me a message via email - address in QRZ.COM. Still room for a couple. Stu K6TU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.