Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

popping sound in received audio

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
this seems repeatable; 6500, cat5 straight to shack pc; win7 64 bit; 12.17 software; band 160m; mode cw; agc fast; AGC-t 41; filter 3 khz; after the rig has been on for about 10 minutes, i can hear this 'popping' sound; not loud, but audible; almost sounds like powerSDR when the audio buffers were too small, but less frequent; random timing from 2 to 15 seconds between 'pops'; lasts about 15 minutes, then goes away... no other activity on this pc.. just me? 73, W5XZ

Comments

• Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I see this as well; I thought that this may be part of the audio issue that was in the works to be resolved in an update? I have close to the same layout as Dan but with different settings: 6500, cat5 into adapter; win7 64 bit; 12.17 software; band 80 & 20; mode SSB; agc MED; AGC-t 25; filter 3 khz. 73's Joe WD5Y
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have noticed this same thing here on my 6700. AGC mode and filter width make no difference. I see it most of the time on cw but have heard it occasionally on ssb. Seems worse on very strong cw signals. Very annoying and loud especially on earphones that have good high frequency response. It does seem to get better after the radio has been on for 30 minutes or so. 73s Jim K4JAF
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    The popping is actually the codec dropping the occasional sample. There are some major improvements in the upcoming version of SmartSDR that should mitigate this behavior.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Tim... Look forward to the next version of SmartSDR. Maybe this week? 73s Jim K4JAF
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    good deal Tim...a nice clean audio chain clearly differentiates these rigs from most others, IMHO..." Grandpa, what's a crystal filter ?? "....
  • John Stuart KM6QX
    edited August 2013
    I captured a couple of those "pops" or "clicks" with Audacity the other day. You can also see the high frequency aliasing noise riding on this 600 Hz CW tone. Johh Stuart, KM6QX
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    nice job, John!! I bet new gear has never been tested this thoroughly...by end-user consumers...
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, is this also a problem with f3k ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.