Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lack of a functioning noise blanker is killing me!

Michael - N5TGL
Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Here in southwest Texas, it's been really dry. Normally we have enough rain to keep the powerline noise at bay, but now it's so dry the noise is back with a vengeance. My Flex-5000 NB worked great to knock this stuff down. The NB on the 6700 works...if you give it about 30-40 seconds, which is extremely frustrating. I can hit the NB, and after about 30 or so seconds, it finally starts to work. However, if I make ANY transmissions, it disengages and I have to wait another 30 or so seconds after unkeying for it to engage again. This means I end up calling CQ and only the strongest make it through the noise. I had several answers to my call today, but couldn't make the contact because the NB took forever to start working again. I can't imagine I'm the only one with noise problems. I'm hoping this is not yet another post 1.0 release fix. It's no fun picking out a weak one, and then after answering the call the NB doesn't work and you can't hear them come back to you.

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Michael, The NR, NB and ANF have not been fully optimized yet. The defect of the NB taking a long time to converge is scheduled to be addressed
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    FWIW, i have been playing with nb settings from 0 all the way up to 90...have nuisance-grade s-5 line noise to west on 160m..sometimes, it seems to work... 73, W5XZ
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    with 'fast' agc, and AGC-t set considerably lower than default...
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited December 2016
    Ok Dan, i'm giving that a shot. The 5K NB worked great, here's to hoping the 6K series will beat it!
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Patience, my friends...Its coming...
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    +1 Somewhere I've got a new noise source wiping out the high bands.. Time to break out the transistor am radio..
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited December 2016
    Fast agc and AGC-t set lower helps a lot. Looking forward to the real fix tho!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.