Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

F6500 GPSDO as external reference for F1500

Andrew VK5CV
Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
G'day all, Had a play with this just now. 6500 GPS locked and using 10MHz reference on the 1500. Look at 10MHz leakage in DSB 10 Hz filter in panascope. I had hoped that they might be synchronous. But not so. A calibration gave a DDS offset of 3. With the scope set to 1000000ms I can see an error of 17 cycles per 1000 seconds. or 0.017Hz. The DDS offset is limited to whole numbers. I suppose 1.7 cycles per 10E9 is not so bad. Andrew

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Andrew, this is probably related to the FLEX-1500. Neither my FLEX-5000 or the FLEX-1500 have a DDS offset of 0 when I use my Rb reference. It is always off by a slight bit. The FLEX-1500 is usually +6 and the FLEX-5000 is +2. Also remember that the FLEX-1500 has a low thermal mass and it will be sensitive to temperature fluctuations.
  • Graham-KE9H
    Graham-KE9H FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Andrew: A DDS is not a continuous tuning device. It generates frequencies in discrete steps. For the DDS as used in the 1500, when run off a 10 MHz reference, the step size is every ~93.1 milli-Hertz.(actually, exactly 400 MHz / 2^32) So, if you chose the step closest to the desired/requested frequency, you can be as much as half of that, or up to about 46 milli-Hertz in error. Sometimes you will be exactly on, but usually you will have some small error in the tens of milli-Hertz. And, it will be different on every frequency tuned. So, if you correct it with the DDS offset, then change frequencies, it will be the wrong again. I would leave the DDS offset in the 1500 on Zero when running from an external standard. That will give you the lowest average error across all frequencies. The NCO's (Numerical Controlled Oscillators) in the Flex-6500/6700 will also have some similar granularity in the actual frequency steps generated. --- Graham / KE9H

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.