Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

target temp of TCXO / OCXO in 6500 ?

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
ok, it's HOT in Longview, Tx; my garage hamshack is only slightly cooler than the great outdoors. I noticed at lunch, with the rig off, but powered, the fans were running... huh ?? maybe i'll just let ambient temps heat the thing, at least in summer ? I'm 'going green'...

Comments

• Graham-KE9H
    Graham-KE9H FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Dan: The temperature in your shack should not be an issue for the TCXO in your 6500, (or the OCXO in the 6700.) However, the fans running continuously with the unit turned off is unusual. ( I assume they are on "Low.") It could be either a software bug, or a hardware problem. Please disconnect all 12 Volt power from the unit, for say 10 seconds or so, then plug the 12 Volt power back in. If the fans now stay off, then some kind of shutdown sequence software bug. If they come back on without ever pressing the "On" button, then a hardware issue. Let us know which it is. We will then either add it to the software list, or have Tim move you to the Help/Service Desk. --- Graham / KE9H ==
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    thanks, Graham. just did exactly that. the fans come on immediately. it's a balmy 98 deg F here in the shack... the nice thing about a garage hamshack: i don't have to clean it up!! i guess they're on 'low'...never heard them on 'hi' yet.. 73, w5xz
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    and, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the pc is on, or off... (direct cat5 / ethernet connnection to shack pc)..
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It shouldn't. The PC is just a thin client to connect to the radio server. The radio controls its own fans if DC power is applied to it.
  • Graham-KE9H
    Graham-KE9H FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Dan: I'll ask Tim to open a help desk ticket. . It is not urgent and won't hurt anything (other than logging extra hours on the fans), but we should get your radio back and get the fan control resolved. --- Graham / KE9H. ==
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Dan, I have taken care the converting this community topic to a HelpDesk ticket. When Dudley responds, tell him you need and RMA.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    this am, 82 deg F in the shack...fans do not come on...curious..
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Dan, I am beginning to suspect that your high ambient temp is such that the radio requires that additional air flow to cool off the internal processors and remove latent heat from the transmitter being biased on RX.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    after couple hours SWL'ing, rig up to 90 deg F, desktop 86, 7:45 am...shut down all, but leave pwr on to 6500: fans still off...
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    my bad...it's not the fans in 6500 that are running...it's the fan in the Alinco DM340 !! Tim, how do i dump this whole thread?
This discussion has been closed.