Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can you use the Radiosport RS20 Headset with the FLEX-6000

K1UO Larry
K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is anyone using a Radiosport RS20 headset on their Flex6X00 radio? Any issues? What did you use for an adapter to the Foster type mic jack?

Answers

• Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Larry: We have both the RadioSport RS20S (Stereo Listen Only) and the RS60CF (Stereo with Mic) headsets in the K5FRS Club station. They just work! I thought they would primarily be for contesting but the mic elements are easily tunable with the TX EQ for wideband work. The stereo headphones are optimized for noise canceling in higher noise environments.... Think Field Day... For the RS20S just plug the 3.5mm ministereo plug into the PHONES jack using the 1/4" stereo adapter included in the kit. The RS60CF has a matching cable that connects the DIN to the FLEX-6000 8 Pin Foster connector. Model CS6-FTY. Check with Dave if you have any questions radiosportheadsets@gmail.com 73, Greg
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Very nice quality in these headsets. But I actually prefer Bose quiet phones. They block out just about everything except signal. For the few times I use a mic I use a PR781.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Have their RS60CF boomset here and very impressed with it. All-day-wear grade gear and was a huge treat to not suffer the small headset vs larger head pinch. Very pleased! URL is http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/rs60CF.asp 73 Steve K9ZW
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Oops...sri guys.. I was referring to the boom mic/headset combo..guess that is the RS60. don't own a set yet...was just looking for something to use with the 6000 series. I already have a Yamaha CM500 mic/headset. Its a dynamic mic and requires bias so maybe it can be paired with the Heil or W2ENY adapter for use with the foster jack on the Flex. regards Larry K1UO
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Just out of curiosity...How did the SubjectHeader get changed from the original Header that simply said "Radiosport RS20 Headset" ?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    That was changed by the Community "mayor" (me). Eventually we are going to be expanding the scope of the community to encompass our legacy products (PowerSDR and the FLEX line of SDRs). Occasionally we may slightly modify a topic header for the purpose of making it more indexable from a search engine perspective.
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Larry: We're all learning the tool. To help, I've also added the tags "headset" and "radiosport". We definitely don't want to be in the business of editing everyone's posts and plan to make sure we don't do any damage.... takes all the fun out of it!
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks Mayor Tim.... makes sense... I think... I would have typed the direct product name in a search though.. thats why I did the header that way in the first place. I'm still learning this system :-) ....nice job with the "Community" btw.
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Since this is a small industry, I asked Dave at Radiosport to make sure I had the data correct on his headsets. Here is some additional info below. Please visit their website for additional details and pricing, etc. From Dave: ****************************************************************************************************** The connector on the RS60CF is actually a SwitchCraft miniXLR connector (locking as apposed to a DIN connector). Our 6-Pin miniXLR is just like the 5-pin miniXLR used on millions of commercial communications headsets (monaural of course). SwitchCraft provided the additional pin that supports the second audio channel for the Sub/2nd receiver. Each RS60CF headset comes with an auxiliary 3.5mm Stereo port on the bottom of the right ear cup. This serves several uses as our users keep discovering. 1) First if you want to monitor the gang on your local repeater that are announcing that new country on the air, you can pipe the monaural audio output from your 2M rig to one of the channels (right or left ear driver) so you can hear them with the 24 dB external noise reduction ear cups. 2) If you are contesting or on Field Day and want a logging op, simply plug our RS20S Listen Only headset into this jack and the logging op hears what your hear. 3) If you are operating a CW contest weekend and want to keep the desktop as uncluttered as possible you remove the CS6-FTY Headset-To-Radio cable and plug in one of the RS20S Headset-To-Radio cable for listen-only use (RT35S the same Kevlar reinforced cabling) 4) We also offer the CS6-XLR Headset-To-Radio cable for the rear panel interface on the 6000 series. Same $86 as the CS6-FTY Foster 8-Pin Mic connector but you must then use VOX or a Foot or Hand PTT. 5) In addition to the PTT-FS-RCA Foot Switch and PTT-HS-RCA Dual Momentary and Push On/Push Off buttons with the 7 foot Kevlar reinforced cables we also now offer a 5 Foot extension cable for remote/rack-mount installations so you then have 12 feet of length. ********************************************************************************************************
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The build quality of the RS60CF is rather impressive! At or above the build levels of the best of the aviation type headsets with great comfort. Wearing eyeglasses is less a headset-issue with the RS60CF than the other boomsets I own. Very adjustable and quickly. The earcup mounted PTT proves handy, especially if I am moving around the shack. Only down is that well built passive noise reduction headsets are heavier than noise canceling sets can be, but that is the nature of the things. Worn fitted correctly it is no issue. Once seeing the quality and using them for a couple hours (and seeing how the listen only versions held up at several different manufacturers' Dayton displays despite being handled thousands of times) the value for money is there. Work great with the 6700 here. Recommended. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited August 2013
    I also have a Yamaha CM500 and would like to hook it up to my 6500. How should it be connected?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Richard, You can use a Heil headset adapter or get a custom made adapter from w2eny (which I have). either should work. Make sure you get the adapter that provides bias vltg for the electret mic element.
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited August 2013
    I want to hook the CM500 up to the rear connector on the 6500 so I can leave the front connector clear for my boom mike. Can you provide me info on doing this? I could then switch to "line" input to use the CM500? Would you hook up the CM500 to the DB15 or the other XLR connector. Looking at the post below, Radiosport mentions using the XLR connector for their headset. It appears that the combo jack either takes an XLR connector or a TRS connector for mike input, is this correct? Then would you have to use the DB15 for audio output?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Reposted for Richard..It was attached to an earlier reply I made rather than as a new comment/question.... Maybe someone has the answer for Richard's question: Richard, N7HX 3 hours ago: I want to hook the CM500 up to the rear connector on the 6500 so I can leave the front connector clear for my boom mike. Can you provide me info on doing this? I could then switch to "line" input to use the CM500? Would you hook up the CM500 to the DB15 or the other XLR connector. Looking at the post below, Radiosport mentions using the XLR connector for their headset. It appears that the combo jack either takes an XLR connector or a TRS connector for mike input, is this correct? Then would you have to use the DB15 for audio output?
  • Richard, N7HX
    Richard, N7HX Member
    edited August 2013
    I think I'll post this as a new question as it may get lost at the end of this long post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.