Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Very odd intermittent problem with a Flex 6400

W4AFK Bruno
W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
edited October 17 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

The INTERMITTENT problem:

Either using SmartSDR on the LAN, or a direct connection to the radio, or via SmartLink, on many occasions, within the first 4-5 minutes after powering ON, the spectrum freezes, the waterfall freezes and I just hear noise bursts. However, I can change frequencies, change modes, change parameters, etc. so the radio is not locked, but its unusable.

If the problem does not pop-up within the first 4-5 minutes, that radio will work fine!

When it does happen, I need to perform a graceful shutdown, power off, wait a minute, start up the radio. It will either work fine, or exhibit the same problem. Some times I need to restart 2-3 times before the radio is stable.

I have been working with Customer Service and they just sent me a replacement SD Card … but I still have the problem.

• Performed factory reset (more than once)
  • This problem started with 3.7 and is still there with 3.8.19
  • The MTU was set to 1450 (per their suggestion)
  • It's not the router as we connected a laptop directly to the Flex
  • It's not the cable MODEM for the same reason as noted above

Per Flex, they suspect that it's the UDP packets being dropped or blocked. I thought it could be a router or a cable modem problem, but as it happens with a direct connection, it rules those out.

The only other option seems to be sending the radio to Flex but before going down that path, any suggestions?

Such as running Microsoft's Network Monitor to capture packets. If I do so, I plan on looking for the UDP packets … any suggestions on what specifically to look for? (I'd like to see us losing the UDP packets)

Anyone out there who have experienced this odd intermittent problem?

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bruno, do you have another computer that you can test with? It would help to determine if it is the radio or the computer at fault.

You might also want to try with a different Ethernet cable in case that is the problem.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    edited 2:25AM

Len,

We used my computer remotely using SmartLink, the NUC that's on the LAN using SmartSDR (I remote access it to manage the Flex for FW updates, etc. Have a look at my QRZ page), and my host ham's laptop connected directy to the Flex.

We tested via the modem + router, via the router, and direct connection to the radio (no LAN, no router, no MODEM). This also means different CAT5 cables. As the problem also occurs with the direct connection, it has to be the radio. When the problem occurs, it will ALWAYS be within the first 3-4 minutes. If it doesn't happen in that initial window, the system is rock stable.

We gave remote access to Flex support but as the problem is intermittent and we don't leave the system on 24/7 (Florida thunderstorms), he wasn't able to see the problem. Essentially, if it works past the first 3-4 minutes, it will be fine until the next time we power-cycle the radio.

As for "power cycling" I am using a remote controlled AC power bar with scripting capabilities. So when we disconnect the antennas, the script first toggle the reset line (the RCA jack), waits 30 seconds, then removes DC. On power up, the script applies DC then toggles the line.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.