Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Changing to Consumer Cellular

RFord
RFord Member ✭✭✭

I an considering changing my cell service to Consumer Cellular…I'm looking for advice on anyone who has made the change to this service. How well does it work with SmartSDR and remote activities.

Thanks in advance…

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I do not have Consumer but the question is, whose service are they reselling? If it is T-Mobile then you most likely will have problems.

Another point is bandWidth restrictions. Some resellers cap your data throughput to lower speeds or drop to lower speeds after using a certain amount of data in a month.

Last, check if they support 5G networks or just LTE. All new cell sites going in are 5G.

I had T-Maybe (T-Mobile) and fought with them for over a year when they started blocking VITA49 UDP traffic in my area (northern NJ). Also I never had cell service at my house in the 29 months I had them. And I am only 30 miles from NYC.

Read the fine print of their terms and services agreement. Ask if your phone can support an e-SIM and if they will give you a trial period. I did that when I switched to Verizon and on an iPhone 14 was able to toggle back and forth between T-Maybe and Verizon for testing.

Dave wo2x

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

Consumer Cellular uses the ATT network, at least in my area. I have been a CC user for about 5 years.

I have successfully used my iPhone (with CC) as a hotspot to connect my iPad, or Maestro to the internet an access my radios back home via SmartLink.

I have not experimented with using a CC connection at the Radio-end of the connection.

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

Thank you both for the information…what you have provided will help me make my decision…

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

Another comment…I use Consumer Cellular here in Phoenix AZ and no problems here.

John N1JM

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9

Consumer Cellular normally uses AT&T, BUT if you have a International Plan then they use T-Mobile which doesn't work with SmartLink. I ran into this a couple years ago when I was forced to Change out my SIM card for a AT&T SIM card.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.