Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Loopback and xdax on a Mac

After many years using Loopback on my Mac I upgraded to the latest version. Unfortunately that was a mistake. Wsjt hears fine but no transmit. I have been playing with it for the past week with no luck. I have been in contact with Rogue Amoeba and they don’t seem to be able to figure it out either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Gordon, ve7on

Answers

• Mike WA7IJV
    Mike WA7IJV Member ✭✭
    I also encountered that issue, after updating to Loopback’s new ARK-based release. xDAX TX stopped working (while xDAX RX channels continued to function).

I eventually found a workaround: run xDAX inside Terminal

I’m on Sonoma - below System Preference commands reflect that OS version. Using Mac mini M2 for radio.

If you would like to give my workaround a try…

1) On the Dock, bring up the Microphone pane - ie., navigate to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Microphone

2) Note if Terminal is in the Microphone list (it might not be found at this point).

3) Launch a Terminal window (e.g., command-space Terminal, or via Finder window in Applications\Utilities).

4) If Terminal was not previously in the Microphone list, hopefully it will now be there.

5) Determine if the entry for Terminal is “on” (slider button is to the right). If it isn’t, turn it “on”.

All the above are one-time setup actions.

For routine use: launch a Terminal window and enter…

/Applications/xDAX.app/Contents/MacOS/xDAX

I employ Terminal's right-click "New Command...", which brings up a "recent commands" list. Makes it easy to launch xDAX under the above's "new way".

A security-related caveat…
    … I suspect that granting Terminal microphone access allows anything run via Terminal to have access to the “microphone environment”.

73…

Mike WA7IJV
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭

Many thanks Mike, I will give it a try.

73, Gordon, ve7on

• kenb
    kenb Member ✭✭

i also have this problem after upgrading. from the xDAX log:

2024-09-11 05:19:02:969 [Info] > DaxPanelViewController, setDaxEnabled() - TX audio stream enabled
    2024-09-11 05:19:03:015 [Warning] > xLib: Unknown Slice token: sample_rate = 24000

sample rates are set to 48000 according to the Midi app.

Mike, thanks for the workaround. i'll give it a try. has anyone reported this to rogue…

73, ken ns7v

• Mike WA7IJV
    Mike WA7IJV Member ✭✭
    I believe Gordon is in contact with the Loopback vendor.

I've seen that same diagnostic. As you note, it appears all pieces (digi app, virtual device port speed, etc.) are at the same 48k speed. I've also tried different speeds (which seem to work as well).

Perhaps this MacOS Console diagnostic may be relevant to the xDAX TX issue:

Refusing authorization request for service kTCCServiceMicrophone and subject Sub:{de.DL3LSM.xDAX}Resp:{TCCDProcess: identifier=de.DL3LSM.xDAX, pid=83050, auid=502, euid=502, binary_path=/Applications/xDAX.app/Contents/MacOS/xDAX} without NSMicrophoneUsageDescription key

Unlike other apps listed in my mac’s Microphone pane - FLdigi, WSJT-X, etc. - xDAX isn’t shown. So, we can’t “turn it on” in the MacOS-required manner.

BTW, I am seeing other potentially worrisome xDAX logging in the Console. Fingers crossed...

Mike
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭

I have been in contact with Rogue Amoeba. Many emails and still no luck. The latest is that they are going to consult their engineering department. I have gone back to ver. 2.3.2 and it works fine. There is something wrong with the new update.

Gordon, ve7on

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭

any update from rogue ameba…i am in the same boat with sequoia and loopback and xdax

xdax does not show up in privacy /mic

even when when started via terminal

paul K3SF

• Mike WA7IJV
    Mike WA7IJV Member ✭✭

I updated my older Intel radio mini from Sonoma to Sequoia. Now, xDAX doesn’t run at all (even via Terminal). Ditto for xCAT.

Mac SmartSDR and dogparkSDR don’t see my Flex, most of the time.

However - xSDR6000 sees the Flex consistently, and starts OK. But, typically freezes minutes later if I’m screen sharing from another Mac to the Intel mini. Things are better if I instead use a monitor/kb/mouse (greatly reduces network traffic), but still feels fragile.

xDAX never has shown up in my primary or backup radio Macs’ Microphone list, either. On Sonoma or Sequoia.

I suspect xDAX was coded (circa 2020) for an earlier set of audio access requirements, and doesn’t make needed calls on the newer MacOS versions - to be recognized as a mic-using app.

Terminal was already in my Sonoma Microphone list when I first tried the “xDAX in Terminal” method, months ago. Sometime earlier, MacOS probably asked me if Terminal should be added to the list when I ran an audio-using app (e.g., fldigi) from Terminal. And, I said "yes".

Once Terminal is in the list, I suspect xDAX inherits the mic access.

Until Sequoia came along…

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.