Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why does Power Genius show higher SWR then Tuner

My setup is a Flex 6400 into a Palstar HF-Auto tuner into a new Power Genius amp then into a yagi antenna.

When I tune up the radio with 5w of power or key with 10w of power with the Power Genius in standby mode I get SWR readings of the following:

• Palstar tuner: 1.2:1
  • Flex 6400: 1.7:1
  • Power Genius Physical Amp: no reading
  • Power Genius Utility: no reading
  • Power Genius in Smart SDR Amp: no reading

When I turn on the Power Genius and key with 10w I get SWR readings of the following:

• Palstar tuner: 1.2:1 ←- remains the same
  • Flex 6400: 1.3:1 ←- goes down
  • Power Genius Physical Amp: 2.1:1 (300w output)
  • Power Genius Utility: 2.1:1 (300w output)
  • Power Genius in Smart SDR Amp: 1:1 (300w output)

So when using the Power Genius I am seeing three different SWR:

• 1.2:1 on the tuner
  • 2.1:1 on the Power Genius Utility
  • 1:1 on the Power Genius meter in SmartSDR.

Why the difference?

PS: I did make sure that the tuner is between the Amp and the Antenna.

Thanks for any answers

Dave - KW1DX

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Check radio SWR direct to tuner to verify input impedance of tuner is fine. Doesn’t hurt to double check.

Check with amp in operate on different bands. Also try removing power from amp and reapply to cold boot the amp.

If SWR is good with radio direct but high only when amp in operate thenopen a Help Desk ticket. The support team are very good.

73 Dave wo2x

• Mike N9NTC
    Mike N9NTC Member ✭✭

You need the PGXL attached to the radio and Palstar at the end of the chain before the antenna.

Mike

N9NTC

• KW1DX
    KW1DX Member ✭✭

The order of components is: Antenna, Coax Switch (to choose antenna), Tuner (Palstar), Power Genius, Coax Switch (to choose radio), Flex 6400.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.