Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to build FlexLib using Visual Studio 2022 Community edition

Roger
Roger Member ✭✭

Like Steve mentioned in a earlier post I'm on an adventure to build some custom software that interfaces to the Flex 6000 and 8000 series radios and I have a similar question.

Can FlexLib be built using Visual Studio 2022 Community edition?

As James mentioned above coping the precompiled DLLs will work just fine, however for my own knowledge and satisfaction I want to build FlexLib from source. When I try to do the build in Visual Studio 2022, I get the following errors:

CS8137: Cannot define a class or member that utilizes tuples because the compiler required type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TupleElementNamesAttribute' cannot be found. Are you missing a reference?

CS8137: Cannot define a class or member that utilizes tuples because the compiler required type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TupleElementNamesAttribute' cannot be found. Are you missing a reference?

I'm new to C# so there's probably something simple I'm missing here. In reading and watching YouTube videos over the past couple of months I've learned how tuples are handled by Visual Studio C# changed between .NET 4.6.2 and .NET 4.7.

Reading through some older posts they indicated that Flex was using Visual Studio 2010 to build FlexLib / SmartSDR and I'm wondering that is still true or have they moved to a later version of Visual Studio. If possible, I'd like to use the latest toolchain, so I don't get painted into a corner as newer versions of Visual Studio come out.

73 and good DX,

de Roger, NK1I

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Roger, I am using Vidual Studio 2019 without issue so I would guess that 2022 will be fine.

I don't know about tuples, so I am not much help there.

I have some example C# FlexLib programs on Github if you want to check them out. FlexRepeaterSpots is done and working well. Flexicraft Utility is a work in progress. I expect to post a usable version of it later this week.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Roger, if you have kept Windows and Visual Studio updated, you should be able to compile the dll's without any problems. But, you have to do it in a particular order ( I don't recall what the order is at the moment) and then link the compiled dll to to each new dll as you progress.

I look at the source code for each dll tounderstand what values each one requires and what format is expected. But, as you mentioned, instead of compiling each dll I just copy the needed dll's from the SmartSDR install folder and create a folder in my project and paste the copies there. Then, just reference the dll's in my project.

I do it this way because there have been times in the past where Visual Studio's Intelisense didn't make sense to me. Looking at the source code of the dll I was working with, seemed clearer to me.

James

WD5GWY

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

I haven't tried the VS2022 community edition lately against FlexLib, but I wouldn't expect to have problems as we are using VS2022.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.