Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows Crashing

I'm not sure if it was the latest Windows update or SSDR update, but suddenly after zero problems for the last two years, my PC randomly crashes when I transmit. Sometimes no problems for hours, then suddenly when I key the transmitter, the PC crashes and the Flex stays in transmit until shutdown. Anyone else see this? I searched the boards but didn't see anything. Windows 11 22H2, Build 22621.3737. SSDR 3.7.4.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I have had similar problems. In my case I had RF getting into the PC from two primary sources; the USB cables and the Ethernet cables. Like you, it only happened sometimes. I would be on the Flex Sunday Net with no problems, then after the net, move down the band a few tens of KHz and have the PC lock up, and SmartSDR or one of my utilities would crash.

I added copious amounts of ferrites (mix31) to all of my cables. This includes Ethernet cables that are not part of the station (i.e. printers, TVs, other internet junk in the house). The biggest problem was the USB cabling from my 500 W amp and tuner. Those I wrapped many turns through mix 31 ferrite toroids.

Once I had all of the shack cabling treated this way, my issues went away.

• NZ6P
    NZ6P Member
    Thank you for the quick response. That’s what I find so strange, I haven’t changed anything in the shack for months so felt like it had to be the Windows update. I upgraded the Flex and SSDR with no effect.

Anyway, I will add the ferrites as I’m sure you’re right and probably a good idea anyway. I must have just been skirting the line and just did something differently without realizing it. Certainly have a lot running in there.

Thanks for the insight. 73’s and have a great 4th!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.