Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I mix Tuner Genius with generic power amplifier

Hi
I have a Flex 6500 with a generic 500 watt power amplifier and I would like to purchase the Tuner Genius. My currently key the amplifier with one of the rear TX lines and that works fine. My question is if I add the Tuner Genius and I press tune either on the Tuner Genius or the screen is the Flex software smart enough to key the amplifier so the tuner can tune or would it stay in bypass. I just do not want to purchase the Tuner Genius if it will not work in my application.
Thanks
Randy
KB4CTS

Best Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

The Tuner Genius can follow the frequency of the radio and give 20 tuning memories per band.

When tuning w(SWR) with a non-Flex amp, you must put the amp to standby. Use the radio’s tune power at 25 watts. Again, make sure the amp is in standby and press tune on the tuner. It will tune and store the tuning solution for that frequency.

Remember, there are 20 tuning memories per band. You should initially set up and train the tuner so there are 20 memories spread across the band. Smaller bands like 17 and 30 meters probably only need two tuning memories.

This is how I train the tuner, I calculate the start frequency and step size. For example, 80 meters is 500 kHz wide. Divide the bandwidth (500) by number of memories (20) and step size is 25 kHz. I start at 3.505 MHz and tune, go up 25 kHz to 3.530 and tune. Keep going up 25 kHz and tune. The 19th frequency will be 3.980. For the 20th I use 3.995 MHz.

The tuner will use closest tuning solution, which is never more than 12.5 kHz away.

During normal operation, you should verify SWR when band changing before putting the amp to operate. Once SWR is verified, you can put amp to operate and tune the amp (if tube amp).

73 Dave wo2x

• KB4CTS
    KB4CTS Member
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Guys

Answers

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

When you press tune on the radio or the SmartSDR screen it puts out the tune power amount set up in the radio. If the amp is on and not in standby it will put out an amplified signal but it will not tune. If you press Tune on the tuner it will initiate a Tune cycle for the tuner also using the tune power amount set up in the radio. In this situation, you want to have your amp on standby since the Tuner only wants between 10 and 20 watts to perform a tune cycle.

In my case, I have two amps in line, One of my amps is a Power Genius for which this process is automatic. The other is A SPE 2k-FA and I have to remember to put the amp in standby otherwise I get a message telling me I am using too much power to perform a tune cycle.

Note: after an initial tune cycle is run on a frequency the Tuner remembers the setting and you do not have to perform another tune cycle unless your antenna conditions have changed.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Not running the amplifier thru the Tuner defeats its true purpose. Select a TUNE output level that drives the amplifier enough to afford a Tuner solution from the amplifier to the antenna.

W7NGA

• KB4CTS
    KB4CTS Member
    Thanks Guys
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

The goal should be to match the amplifier to the antenna load. Placing the amplifier in standby and matching does not accomplish that objective. In standby you are matching the transmitter to the antenna load which is not the same.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

A tube amp can be matched to the antenna impedance up to a point. (About 2.5:1 SWR)
    Solid state amps expect to be transmitting to a 50 Ohm impedance. This is where the tuner really helps

The purpose of tuning the tuner first is to have the amp see 50 Ohm impedance and allow the amp to work more efficiently.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.