Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Another no CW Side tone

I've lost my CW side tone on the PC.

My settings are shown below. I can hear it with the head phones, but not via the PC speakers. I've tried exporting, resetting the Flex to factory, but nothing brings it back and I'm stuck on where to go next.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Ken, the Flex will not send sidetone via a PC or via the Internet due to latency issues with Windows (and even worse on the Internet).

If you are operating in proximity to your rig, you need to get sidetone from the radio itself (headphones, powered speakers, etc with PC Audio off). If you are not close to your rig, then you need to generate sidetone using a keyer and the appropriate USB interface to ypur PC.

• Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭

This did work before. PC is close to the radio and they are both connected to a router via CAT 6 cable.

Before, same computer, router, connection, speakers and radio. It just quit on me. The radio audio comes thru fine business. Just will not let me monitor CW>

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Ken, I have never had CW sidetone come through the PC. What I can do is listen to audio through the PC and hear CW sidetone through the speakers and headphones plugged into the radio. I wouldn't normally do this, but it does work.

The audio delay through Windows can be significant to the point that trying to monitor sending through the PC makes it nearly impossible to send. You will be listening at least one code element behind as you send (send a dot but hear the previous dash kind of thing).

Out of curiosity, why do you want the audio via the PC instead of speakers?

• Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    edited June 21

Thanks Len…..

I am travelling (travelled) to Ohio from the home qth in Florida in an RV. I had to pick and choose what to take and what to leave back in the shack in Florida. The Heil equalizer and speaker were chosen to leave behind since the audio (CW and radio) were operating thru the PC speaker FB. Now they are not.

I took your advice and ordered some powered speaker from Amazon and they say they will arrive today, but I'm not holding my breath. If they don't get here today, I'll just have to put the head phones on in the heat and sweat thru it :)

I also have the ability to use my Kenwood TS890S, which it seems, I'm using more and more in recent months.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

The only CW Sidetone that is sent to the PC speakers when PC AUDIO is enabled is the sidetone for CWX.
    It has always been thus way, due to latency issues.

• k0oks
    k0oks Member ✭✭

You can easily wire up a little beeper / tone generator directly to your key to get a sidetone from the key itself, rather than from the radio. Just be caution as whatever you make will be wired in parallel to the key input of the radio. The manual says not to exceed 3.3V, which is easy if you buffer the input to your tone generating circuit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.