Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT PTT to TX slice?

n8wrl
n8wrl Member ✭✭

I saw a note back in November of 2020 where someone? said setting up a CAT PTT port to follow the active TX slice was a requested feature. I ran into that again today - is it still on the radar?

Use case: I'm working split trying to snag FT4GL. I'm going hoarse, so I fire up my voice keyer app. It connects to the COM port I've configured as PTT CAT and, every time I send my call, slice A goes to TX. I'm split, so it should be slice B. B was the TX port, but since I have to pick a slice in the PTT CAT configuration, it was A.

I know I can edit the PTT CAT config to go to slice B. Then I'll have to remember to put it back.

Can I track the active TX slice?

Thank you all, and 73!

-Brian n8wrl

Answers

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Brian

Check out using the X/RIT Button.

You can use one slice and offset your TX frequency. You don’t tie up two slices. Eg. push X/RIT Button and TX in the dropdown. 5000in the box moves the TX up 5 kc 10000 moves up 10kc. 7500, you pick it. You have to hit Enter button to activate the entry. I use my FlexControl and set AUX3 to X/RIT then use the knob to move TX to an open hole on the water fall. The red vertical bat shows where you at transmitting.

If you want to listen in the pileup open another slice to do that, receive only.

Another advantage you will not mistakenly TX on the DX frequency.

Bill

W9JJB

• n8wrl
    n8wrl Member ✭✭

Thanks Bill - that's a good idea.

The logging app I use (DXLab) and its SpotCollector app create the additional TX slice when it detects split operation.

Another avenue I'm looking at is using the MOX property of the radio in the .NET library. Haven't treid that yet… seems like it would pick the right TX slice.

73, and thanks again!

-Brian n8wrl

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

You can also create a PTT port in SSDR CAT.

Then connect your voice keyer to it (COM5 in this example). That PTT will follow the TX slice. and will not effect the CAT functions or receive.

AL, K0VM

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

You can also use Stream Deck if you have it and program a button to send the sound file on the TX slice.

• n8wrl
    n8wrl Member ✭✭

Al, I'm running SmartSDR 3.7.4 and here's what my CAT-PTT dialog looks like:

The interesting thing is, "Auto Switch TX Slice" seems like what I want but it doesn't matter which way it is. Enabled, as you see it here, wants me to pick the slice. If I disable it:

Now I don't have a "VFO A Slice" pull-down but it still goes to A, even if B is TX.

I also don't have the "CAT COM" pull-down which makes me think I'm looking at the wrong dialog?

Thank you for your time

-Brian n8wrl

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

In order to see the CAT COM line you right click anywhere in the edit and select advanced. No need to change that selection, the default is fine. Did you reconfigure the PTT option in your voice keyer to use RTS for PTT instead of CAT and select the new COM port. What is you voice keyer?

AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.