Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Creating a Mic Proile

Options

Hi group,

I've always wondered about this question and the answer isn't in the manual. With the TX and Global profiles it's a matter of settings but with a Mic profile you need to pick your mic from the list of Mics. What do you do if your mic isn't in the list? What I've done in the past is pick the mic from the list that closely matches what I'm trying to accomplish with my mic like choosing the ESSB mic option for conversation mode (I detest the phrase rag chew). Then listen to my transmitted audio on another radio. If I like how it sounds then rename the Mic EV320 (my mic) and save it. Then on to the other mics I use. Is this what you would do to create a mic profile for a mic that's not in the list?

David

K9AT

Comments

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Actually, you should create a personalized profile for each mic you use, tailoring it to your voice. No need for another receiver: SmartSDR has a record button (red dot) on the flag, and it records your outgoing audio as transmitted. Record a sample of your voice (use a dummy load), then play it back with the playback button, also on the flag. Adjust the equalizer sliders to get your voice sounding as you want. Hint: try to not boost any frequencies, rather cut those that are too loud.

I have programmed a Stream Deck toggle button to start, stop and play back the recording. The ultimate convenience.

73, Craig KØCF

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi David, the short answer is "Yes". There is no magic in the mic profiles provided - they are just typical settings that provide a starting point. You can start one from scratch, or if you prefer, pick one and go from there.

The big things to get right first are BIAS (on/off), +20dB (enabled/disabled) and mic source (MIC/PC/ACC etc). Other choices like PROC, TX EQ, MIC Level and MON can then be tweaked to your liking. If you haven't seen them, I recommend the videos by Ken, NM9P and Mike, VA3MW regarding using Full Duplex to monitor your transmitted signal. These videos explain in step-by-step detail what Craig is discussing, above.

• David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks guys for the help. I'll try your ideas out.

Best 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.