Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What microphone setting should be used on Maestro C using a generic gaming headset?

Options

Finally got my Maestro C (although I don't think this is specific to the Maestro C) and want to use a gaming headset. Just can't quite figure out what the microphone setting should be. Currently, using Default.

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

using the RS55SL I am using default FHM3 profile. I have 20 dB boost and bias on. I made small adjustments to level and small tweaks to TX EQ. Also Proc on and Normal.

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried a Razer Blackshark gaming headset today with the Maestro C with the same Mic profile that I configured for its use on the PC (good audio reports on the PC) and it is very buzzy and distorted when plugged into the Maestro. I am wondering if the plugs are wired differently.

• k7rfh.rich
    k7rfh.rich Member ✭✭
    Options

Check the Maestro manual. There are two ways to wire the TRRS plugs. I am using a very basic headset and W02X suggestions work great for mine. Totally quiet, except for the band noise.

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

so the Maestro isn’t compatible with generic gaming headsets?

• k7rfh.rich
    k7rfh.rich Member ✭✭
    Options

I am not the expert here, but I think if the headsets have TRRS plugs, they will work. And Flex also has an adapter for ones that don't have the TRRS.

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

I got home to the city where my new radiosport was hanging; works great; the gaming headset, as-is, is not compatible.

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

All,

Unfortunately, Flex decided to go with a plug standard used in the computer industry rather than accommodate headsets that are actually used in ham radio - either by supporting commonly used ones in the first place, or providing (or even stocking) adapters for them. Flex has made it clear in their responses to the large number of complaints that they are perfectly fine making their customers deal with this by destroying their $300 headsets by cutting off its connector and soldering on a new one - absolute nonsense.

So, disappointing but not a big deal. As you see the Maestro-C uses a TRRS 1/8" female connector. But there are at least two types which is causing still further confusion. The type they use is called "CTIA". So buy a TRRS-CTIA to whatever you need adapter and you're good - almost. Flex now stocks an adapter like this but it doesn't work properly with many headsets (both of mine for example) - read on.

A typical ham headset has a 1/8" stereo male phono for the headset part and a 1/8" mono male phono for the mic part. And, of course, most TRRS-CTIA adapters (including the one Flex sells) provide a 1/8" stereo female for the headset BUT their mic input is ALSO stereo, not mono (again, most people buying such an adapter are coming from the computer world where they're likely USING a stereo mic - which, of course, hams don't). This is causing even MORE confusion. SO, you need to ALSO buy a 1/8" mono female to 1/8" stereo male adapter. Plug your mic input into that, the other end into the mic part of the adapter and everything will finally work. I'm using these adapters with my Heil Pro7 and and 4O3A NC-1 headsets and they work fine. I bought my adapters on Amazon.

Good Luck 73 Russ KR6W

• k7rfh.rich
    k7rfh.rich Member ✭✭
    Options

Russ, I did not know that. I have a Heil Pro Set Media headset and it seems to work fine using an TRRS adapter I bought from Amazon. Don't own any of the spendy Ham headsets.

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi k7rfh.rich,

Yeah, well that's the thing… This particular connector choice leads to layers of potential confusion and I didn't even cover all of it in that long post. Another variation is, some headsets DO come with a stereo mic connector, even with a mono mic, which is pre-wired to avoid this confusion. There are probably adapters out there also wired to avoid this confusion by having a mono female mic connector in the first place. It also seems that some adapters map a mono mic connector properly in an all-purpose stereo jack.

So everybody's going to have a different problem to solve depending on what ham headset they're using. And of course, if someone IS using a TRRS-CTIA headset for some reason, they'll be good out of the gate. It's no big deal as Flex keeps reminding us - we're hams and obviously we can deal with this - it's just annoying because the confusion was SO unnecessary. And REALLY annoying when Flex flippantly advises you to simply mutilate your expensive headset to deal with the problem they created. This thing is $1600 with no options & not including shipping and their plan is for you to destroy your expensive headset to USE it ? Inexcusable.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it going. Either you got a suitable adapter from Amazon or your headset is plumbed differently than some others but the main thing is you're up and running ! Excellent !

73 Russ KR6W

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

Russ,

Can you suggest what adapter would make this headset compatible?

Razer BlackShark V2 Gaming... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PKMZ1Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi NG0Z,

The link you provided doesn't provide the critical details to say for sure as far as I can see but I wouldn't be surprised if this one worked with the Maestro-C right out of the box. 1/8" TRRS CTIA is kinda the current computer standard and this is a computerish headset which may well USE that standard. It seems like this headphone is adding some audio signal processing which wouldn't be my personal choice but of course it's totally OK if it's what you want. My advice is to buy it from Amazon and try it. You can always return it if it doesn't work. Also, if you really want THIS particular headset some fairly straightforward experimenting would provide what you need to know to make your own adapter if it turned out to be wired some other way for some reason.

Hope that helps ! 73 Russ KR6W

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

I already own the Razer. It works great when I run my Flex from my gaming laptop but when you plug the same headset into the Maestro, I can't get the audio to sound right. It's fine for now as I also own the radiosport which sounds great. Thanks for the help!

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi NG0Z,

Excellent - I'm glad you're covered with the radiosport ! A couple of questions though: 1) are we talking about the new Maestro-C here, and 2) in what way doesn't it sound right ?

I ask because the pots and connectors on my Maestro-C aren't that great. Over half the pots are "scratchy" (feels like there's sand in them). And plugs don't fit in connectors very smoothly. I had to really snap my headset adapter cable into that connector (the power plug was much worse). So I'm wondering if it's possible yours just plain ain't plugged in all the way ? If it is, it seems like things should either work or not work.

73 Russ KR6W

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it's a brand new "C" and that is possible I suppose. I will try it again at some point.

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, good luck !

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is not bashing anyone but just the way it is in our very fast changing world.

YES It is to bad that FLEX decided to go with a Industry standard Gamer Headset CTIA TRRS wired socket and didn't stay with the same as the 6400/6600 or for that mater the FLEX3000/Maestro A and B 's RJ45 have but then again it's to bad the 6400/6600/Maestro's didn't stay with the Foster 8 Pin MIC jack and a TRS Headset speaker Jacks on the 6300/6500/6700 and 5000 Radios.

It's just to bad that the HAM community has such heartburn over a simple MIC Jack / Socket change, we've gone from do it your selfers, building Electronic device hobbyist to Appliance operators in very short order. I guess soldering and understanding a simple wiring diagram is a lost art.

I really dislike ANY Adapters especially in Audio and RF circuits they just cause a future choppy audio and SWR problems and have NO PLACE in my Station, put the correct ends on the cables and be done with it. Adapters should only be used for testing or temporary builds while waiting for the correct connector to be shipped in and not for premiant installs.

One thing about life, things ALWAYS change and if you want to keep up we must ADAPT and try to better our knowledge and at least try to build or modify things , you won't believe how well the Accomplishment fills once you get it all working.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well said Bret!

I'm with you, build what you need to solve the problem at hand. It' s not rocket science…

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.