Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR for iOS FT8 app decoding

Options

Today I downloaded SSDR for iOS for my iPad Pro. Regarding the FT8 app, I notice quite a shortfall in number of decodes per period, and less signal strengths, compared to JTDX for Windows.

I am running SSDR for iOS in multiFlex mode and am monitoring the same band as the main client SSDR for Windows. I have normal DT and the ANT gain is the same for both apps. The BW for FT8 decoding is at 3khz in JTDX and the FT8 app.

For examples sake: on 12m FT8 right now, in the FT8 app in SSDR for iOS I have only 75% of the JTDX decodes. Picking one station as a case in point, HP3CDZ is -13 in JTDX and -25 in the FT8 app.

Is what I am seeing normal for the app or is there some way to influence the receive gain in SSDR for iOS? Signals look strong in the SSDR iOS Panadapter and comparable to those in the SSDR Windows Panadapter. So my issue seems to be related to the app itself. Also closing SSDR for Windows and using only SSDR iOS does not change anything. Anyone any ideas please?

Thanks de Erik.

Answers

• jmwallace74
    jmwallace74 Member ✭✭
    edited April 16
    Options
    Erik EI4KF
    I am running my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 inch almost exclusively for FT8. I have not done any side by side comparisons between windows WFJT-X and the FT8 app with IOS, but it seems to me I get good signal strengths reported for received FT8 conversations, even though my antennas are not optimum. I’m using a non-resonant ZeroFive 43ft vertical and an endfed 107 ft horizontal wire with 9-1 Balun. I use the FlexRadio TunerGenius to turn the antennas to better that 2-1. There is a FT8 setting to Display FT8 spots on the Waterfall, which will identify the Signals Call sign in the waterfall screen and you can get a feel for the signal strength of the call being worked. Also you can adjust receiver gain just like you can in the Windows version. I have never seen my FT8 time in iPad drift out, but make sure your DT (Delta Time) in the DT8 screen is less than .5 seconds from most of the other calls .
    John WD8OQS
  • Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 16
    Options

OK thank you John. I will look at receiver gain. Because my iPad is using SSDR for IOS in MultiFlex mode, the rx gain is as per Windows SSDR which is the main client. Maybe for IOS it requires a different setting. Since my posting I stopped using the FT8 tool as I was underwhelmed to say the least by its performance. But I will revisit it. Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.