Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for work around using Maestro C with iPhone hotspot T-Mobile

Options
Bob  KN4HH
Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭

For years, I was able to use my Maestro A in my car using my iPhone cellular hotspot running on T-Mobile very successfully. My Maestro C is due to ship soon. I hate to see it as an expensive paperweight. T-Mobile now appears to be blocking UDP traffic (at least UDP port 4993). This was determined with a Flex trouble ticket which explored all aspects of my operating environment. Rather than changing providers, I would appreciate any suggestions on how create a work around to recover the missing UDP data.

73, Bob, KN4HH

Tagged:

Comments

• dwcolvin
    dwcolvin Member
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't because T-Mobile uses CGNAT, and translates everything to/from IPV6?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 14
    Options

If your Maestro A works as a client on a Hotspot, there is no reason why the Maestro C won't work. This does work even if it is a CGNAT network.

However, since you worked with the Support staff they must have found something different. I looked for your support ticket regarding the Maestro C and I was not able to find it.

I can see that it would not work if the Radio was on the HotSpot as that is a totally different thing.

The only way around is to run a SoftEther VPN from the HotSpot to the Radio. This would likely require having some sort of Router connected to the Hotspot and the Maestro plugged into the Router.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your comments. The help desk determined that T-Mobile is blocking UDP traffic, at least in the hotspot mode. Interestingly, on random days and hours of the day, UDP port 4993 becomes unblocked and I can connect via Smartlink and my mobile hotspot. I have been unable to reach anyone at T-Mobile that understands my issue. I operate what I call “Maestro Mobile” where I use the Maestro temporarily mounted on my center console and I access my mobile hotspot for connectivity. If I can not find a solution with T-Mobile, I am thinking about a mobile hotspot provider with pay as you go for the timesI do operate mobile.

Sorry for the bandwidth. It is an extremely frustrating issue. Thanks for your patience.

Bob, KN4HH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.