Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro C just arrived ! / Use with a Mac ?

Options

My first ever Maestro just arrived , thanks Flex for the quick service. Upgrade to 3.7.3 appears to have gone well, reading the "Quick Guide" next. I ordered the battery late, so now have to wait for PayPal to get around to sending Flex the money before they ship the battery.

I have both Windows and Mac computers here , so can choose either OS . However, I have no clue how/if a Maestro C plays well with SmartSDR for Mac OS . I guess I have some experimenting to do .

Andy K3UK

Tagged:

Comments

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The Maestro C is a self contained computer in itself. It doesn't depend on SmartSDR on a Windows machine or a Mac. You can connect it directly to your radio by a network cable or over your home network. Download the manual and you should see how it is used.

James

WD5GWY

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

There are two ways to use the Maestro:

1) as @Trucker says, you can use the Maestro to directly control your FlexRadio, and (optionally) use or don't use SmartSDR.

2) as a Control Device for SmartSDR... this is called "SmartControl" mode, and is my preferred way to operate. In this situation you fire up SmartSDR first, then connect the Maestro in SmartControl mode. Here, the Maestro does not control your FlexRadio directly, but act as the world's most-expensive computer-peripheral to operate SmartSDR (which in turn does talk to your FlexRadio).

As for Operationg System: in my case, it was driven by my logging-software choice, and other softwares. If I could choose anything I would have chosen Linux. Windows happened to support my Log4OM, so that won out over MacOS. For the MacOS, you'll have to purchase the equivalent of SmartSDR - I've heard great things about it, but have never used it. I use BootCamp on my Macbook Pro and run actual Windows to get my SmartSDR and logging on this particular laptop.

Have Fun with your new toy!

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It's alive ! I may never leave my couch again. Not bad audio out of the small speaker.

James, correct . I realize that after thinking about it. The more intriguing questions are about operating FT8 accompanied by a Maestro.

Andy K3UK

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

Thanks Gord,, I saw the smartcontrol option . I will play around with it , eventually .

Andy K3UK

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

SMartSDR for Mac is the super easy way to operate FT8 with a Maestro.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    Options

SmartControl does not talk to SSDR on the PC but rather talks to the radio. SC changes that you make on the Maestro are reflected by the radio to SSDR on the PC. And changes you make in SSDR on the PC are reflected by the radio to SC on the Maestro. And SmartControl does not care if the PC is running Windows with SSDR or iosSSDR on a MAC or iphone. The Maestro is a client. SSDR or iosSSDR is another client.

AL, K0VM

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

So, Neil... Does that mean running SmartSDr for Mac as usual and have the Maestro in SmartControl mode ?

Andy K3UK

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I run it in MultiFLEX.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.